Paleolithic Y-haplogroup heritage predominates in a Cretan highland plateau

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2008
      Hi,

      I just uploaded this paper to the files. It is perhaps significant
      that Q is only found in the isolated sample. There are supplemental
      files that I can send if anyone is interested.

      Paleolithic Y-haplogroup heritage predominates in a Cretan highland plateau

      Laisel Martinez, Peter A Underhill, Lev A Zhivotovsky, Tenzin Gayden,
      Nicholas K Moschonas, Cheryl-Emiliane T Chow, Simon Conti, Elisabetta
      Mamolini, L Luca Cavalli-Sforza, Rene J Herrera

      SUMMARY: The island of Crete, credited by some historical scholars as
      a central crucible of western civilization, has been under continuous
      archeological investigation since the second half of the nineteenth
      century. In the present work, the geographic stratification of the
      contemporary Cretan Y-chromosome gene pool was assessed by
      high-resolution haplotyping to investigate the potential imprints of
      past colonization episodes and the population substructure. In
      addition to analyzing the possible geographic origins of Y-chromosome
      lineages in relatively accessible areas of the island, this study
      includes samples from the isolated interior of the Lasithi Plateau – a
      mountain plain located in eastern Crete. The potential significance of
      the results from the latter region is underscored by the possibility
      that this region was used as a Minoan refugium. Comparisons of
      Y-haplogroup frequencies among three Cretan populations as well as
      with published data from additional Mediterranean locations revealed
      significant differences in the frequency distributions of Y-chromosome
      haplogroups within the island. The most outstanding differences were
      observed in haplogroups J2 and R1, with the predominance of haplogroup
      R lineages in the Lasithi Plateau and of haplogroup J lineages in the
      more accessible regions of the island. Y-STR-based analyses
      demonstrated the close affinity that R1a1 chromosomes from the Lasithi
      Plateau shared with those from the Balkans, but not with those from
      lowland eastern Crete. In contrast, Cretan R1b microsatellite-defined
      haplotypes displayed more resemblance to those from Northeast Italy
      than to those from Turkey and the Balkans.
      Y-chromosome, haplotype, haplogroup, Crete, Lasithi Plateau
      European Journal of Human Genetics 15, 485 - 493 (01 Apr 2007), doi:
      10.1038/sj.ejhg.5201769

      --
      Peace and Light,