Charles Silver's Thoughts on Levite Status - Version 1.0.1

  • Dave Howard
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2006
      Charles has corrected a typo in his excellent statement. I have taken
      down his previous comment and replaced it with this revision.

      Levite status is a matter of religious doctrine, not genetics, so in
      theory one could be a Levite without being a biological descendant.
      Because the Jewish faith has no pope (at least none that I know of),
      no one can authoritatively recognize persons of Khazar descent as
      Levite.

      Nor can anyone authoritatively take that status away. Rather, custom
      must decide the matter, and custom seems clearly to recognize some
      Khazarian Jews as Levites. It would be a sad thing, I believe, if the
      DNA evidence were allowed to undo this.

      Charles Silver
      McDonald Chair in Civil Procedure &
      Co-Director, Center on Lawyers, Civil Justice, and the Media
      University of Texas School of Law
      727 E. Dean Keeton Street
      Austin, TX 78705