Re: Khazarian Connection is Mere Speculation

  • Alessandro Felice Biondo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2008
      In general, to assign a birth place to a haplogroup, two methods are
      used. The first one is the today's geographical presence: for
      example the Q* group's greatest presence is in Siberia and Central
      Asia and for this reason these area are supposed to be the place of
      birth of Q*. But the strong presence of a particular haplogroup is
      not unrelated to the populations numbers: when we have a low
      population density, the trend is toward a concentration on few group
      and this phenomenon can bring to badly fix the original place of
      birth. The second method used to infer the place of birth of a
      haplogroup, is the haplotype diversity: the place of birth is where
      the haplotype diversity is the greatest. Again this method can give
      bad results if in a geographical area there are big immigration flux,
      from different area, because an haplotype can evolve in an area, and
      after a few generation, move toward other area with other cousins
      (born elsewhere). The two methods alone are not perfect, and we can
      be pretty sure of the original place only if the two methods fix the
      same place. But what if they bring to different results?
      Please follow me in this idea: it's only a pure fictional idea, but
      even if I can't say to support it, I find it's very intriguing.
      If you look at two study on the middle-east (C. Cinnioglu: Excavating
      Y-chromosome haplotype strata in Anatolia; P.A. Zalloua: Y-
      Chromosomal Diversity in Lebanon Is Structured by Recent Historical
      Events, Supplemental Data), you can easily see that in the Middle
      East area there is a good haplotype diversity: in the Cinnioglu study
      is also estimated a TMRCA for the different Q of 23.000 years, and 4
      (out 10) of these Q carry the typical "ashkenazi Q" So, IF this high
      haplotype diversity is not the result of different immigration flux
      in that region, what can block us to imagine this region as the
      original place of the undifferentiated Q*? We can build a complete
      scenario from there, supported by this high haplotype differentiation
      in that area, that can answer to some problems that other theories
      fail to answer to(and yes, leaving unsolved other problem to which
      other theories give an answer). This is the scenario.
      The undifferentiated Q arose from the P (with its brother R) some
      25000/30000 years ago in the eastern Anatolia-southern Caucasus-
      northern Iraq area. In this area he faced the strong competition of
      other Y haplogroup: E, I, J, maybe the brother R. He was not so
      succesfull in the fight against the other group, but it found its
      way: he passed in Central Asia and from there in Siberia, and from
      Siberia to the Americas, during an age when, for the climatic
      conditions, this migration was achievable. This migration was done
      in geographical areas almost "virgin to mankind" so it has a good
      change to proliferate, and was also quick, so quick that the typical
      haplotype of the American Q retained some characteristic similar to
      the original one. When other haplogroups tried to pass in Central and
      Northern Asia the climatic condition worsened and this passage was
      more difficult for thousands of years , leaving Q* as one of the main
      group in this area even today; when the climate conditions were
      better also R (mostly R1a) and C (with other "Mongolic" haplogroups),
      strongly passed in Central Asia (mostly R) and Siberia-Mongolia
      (mostly the "Mongolic" haplogroups) and again Q was strongly
      defeated. In the western Asia and Europe, Q* had a more difficult
      life from its birth-days, and almost succumbed against the other
      haplogroups. Very few Q men survived, and they form the forefathers
      of todays "western" Q: the Ashkenazi Q, the Norse/Viking, and all the
      other small pocket of presence in Europe and Western Asia. The
      various haplotype we can found in this historical area are only the
      result of a long, local, evolution.
      I know, this is almost a fairytale, but it can explain some fact that
      other theories fails to answer to: the high haplotype differentiation
      in Anatolia-Levant-Western Asia area, the rare and almost unique
      presence in Europe- Middle East associated with a large geographical
      spread in that area (from Portugal to Morocco and Syria, from Sicily
      to Scotia and Denmark and Bruxelles, and so on), the presence in the
      Ashkenazi group as the result of an original Israelite Q-man living
      in Southern Europe (Greece, Italy or Spain) around 1000kya and then
      migrated north-way with other Israelite, the Levitic (ancient)
      tradition reported by most the the Ashkenazi Q.
      On the other side, other points need a deeper study. For example:
      what is the haplotype differentiation in Central Asia and Siberia? Is
      this differentiation greater or lower than in West Asia? The supposed
      quick passage in Central Asia-Siberia-America is compatible with the
      climatic conditions and the mobility of the mankind that time? And
      for sure there are a lot of other unresolved questions that this
      moment don't came to my mind.
      I repeat what I wrote at the beginning: this theory for me is only a
      good fictional exercise, but for sure one thing can be demonstrated:
      with the FEW facts we have today we can build many plausible
      scenarios, and all of those scenarios can have some strong points,
      but we must to not forget also the weak points: none of the scenario
      we can build today, the fantastic one I have pictured, or the
      Khazarian connection or the many other conceivable scenarios, can
      give us for sure the truth about our paternal, remote origin. Today
      we can only spy through the keyhole, and hope to see as many details
      as possible. But tomorrow maybe, with some advancement in research,
      we hope to know for sure what today we can only imagine.

      Alessandro Biondo.

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Howard" <dshoward@...>
      wrote:

      > Steve Orlen raises an excellent point when he says leading experts
      no
      > longer favor a connection between Jewish Qs and the Khazarians.
      >
      > Here is the story of where the theory comes from and its current
      status.

      > About July of 2006 when my first yDNA results were available I found
      > myself in a large group of confused men of Ashkenazim descent. My
      > family (Horowitz) is a Rabbinical line with the tradition of being
      > Levites that migrated to Central Europe from Girona, Spain.
      >
      > I called Bennett Greenspan, the CEO of Family Tree DNA and asked him
      > how could we all descended from a Siberian man if our ancestors were
      > Jewish.
      >
      > Off the top of his head he speculated that maybe the Khazarians had
      > little Haplogroup Q yDNA among them when they converted and
      > intermarried. He suggested that we might be descendants of those
      > hypothetical Khazarian Qs.
      >
      > I went with this suggestion and published it widely among our group.
      >
      > In November 2006 I attended the Group Administrators' Conference put
      > on by Family Tree DNA in Houston, TX. I once again spoke with
      Bennett.
      > He suggested that I "buttonhole" Dr. Doron M. Behar who was in
      > attendance. Dr. Behar, based in Israel, is the lead author for most
      of
      > the scholarly articles in "Files" dealing with Ashkenazim yDNA.
      >
      > I did find Dr. Behar and he was very kind to spend time with me. I
      > asked him how we got to be Qs. I asked him specifically if he
      thought
      > the Khazarians were the source of our Q-ness.
      >
      > As best as I recall (and I have a terrible memory for these things,
      > just ask my wife) here is what he said, "I have looked at your
      data. I
      > do not favor the idea that the Khazarians had anything to do with
      it.
      > I think that the record will eventually show that you guys are all
      > descended from one man who lived about 900 years ago."(see end note
      **)

      > Last October 2007, I once again attended the Group Administrators'
      > Conference in Houston and had the pleasure to meet in person my
      cousin
      > (on my mother's side), Rebekah Canada. She and I were having dinner
      > when Bennett Greenspan and Dr. Michael Hammer came up to us.
      > They were both a bit excited. As best I recall (I am sure Rebekah
      > remembers better) Dr. Hammer told us that he had found a
      > yDNA SNP that was unique to our group. He said that if his draft
      paper
      > were published the way it was then we would have a Subclade all of
      our
      > own, viz. Q-1-g. There has been a change and now if he is right we
      > will have our own Subclade of Q-1-b.
      >
      > Rebekah tells me the SNP Dr. Hammer was referring to is M378 for
      which
      > none of us has been tested.
      >
      > According to the 2008 classification M378 is downstream from P36.2
      > which is downstream from M242. (M242 (Q) >> P36.2 (Q1) >> M378
      (Q1b))
      > If you have been tested for M242 you remain a Q* until you test for
      > M378. If you have been tested for P36.2 and have it you are now Q1*
      > until you test positive for M378.
      >
      > The only article I have seen (found by Alessandro Biondo) shows the
      > M278 SNP downstream from SNP M120. I put the article up on this site
      > in "Files." It is the Sengupta 2005 article "yDNA Distributions in
      > India" (my title not his). He discusses the yDNA impact on Southern
      > Asians when Northern Asian Pastorialist (roaming tribes from
      > Afghanistan, India and Pakistan) moved south.
      >
      > Sengupta identified SNP M378 in the study discussed in this paper.
      In
      > the 2002 yDNA tree M378 (Q1a) was downstream from M120 (Q1). In the
      > 2008 yDNA tree M378 has been pulled out from under M120 and has the
      > new designation of Q1b.
      >
      > Did Sengupta et al err when they put M378 downstream from M120? This
      > is not discussed in the 2008 paper.
      >
      > We need Dr. Hammer and the others to publish their findings. I will
      > contact Bennett Greenspan and ask if he can do anything to
      accelerate
      > the release of this information. Scientists are very competitive.
      They
      > keep their data confidential as well as their conclusions prior to
      > publication.
      >
      > Bottom line, as of right now we don't know how we fit into the
      > family tree of mankind past the Q1 branch. We don't yet know how we
      > even got out on the Q1 branch.
      >
      > I bet you never thought anthropology could be so interesting!
      >
      > Best regards to all,
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > **If about half the 14 million Jewish people in the world today are
      of
      > Ashkenazi descent and if half are women and about 4% of the
      Ashkenazim
      > are Haplogroup Q then there are about 14,000 male Ashkenazi-Qs in
      the
      > world today. If 25 years makes a generation then in 900 years there
      > are 36 generations. Trust me, one man could easily have 14,000 male
      > descendants in this time frame.

    • Alessandro Felice Biondo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 15, 2008
        Dear Mr Krupa,
        let me confirm that I think the Middle Ages eastern invaders
        (Khazars, but also Avars, Bulgars, and Huns), as the more likely
        source of my (and yours) particular Q, and for this reason as you
        know, I am a member of your FTDNA project. But also I think that not
        all of we know today of the diffusion of our particular Q can be
        explained with the Khazarian connection alone. We deal with so
        distant, so complex, and not so well understood facts, that we can't
        be totally sure of the true history: for this I prefer to be free to
        elaborate and examine also different, sometimes strange, ideas.
        I am aware that what is in discussion is not the general Q, but our
        particular Q. I think also that the big picture of all the Q can give
        us some hints about our particular Q: it's necessary to concentrate
        our attention on the particular, but it's better that the big picture
        is not lost.
        In your post you write that you are from Hvar, a fact that I consider
        important for me. Hoping to not go off-topics, I ask you more
        information about what you know of the Q in Hvar. I am much
        interested for three reasons:
        - In Hvar and Korcula (L. Barac: Y chromosome STRs in
        Croatians), and in Central and Eastern Turkey (C. Cinnioglu:
        Excavating Y-chromosome haplotype strata in Anatolia) I have the
        nearest matches among the scientific papers I know;
        - Hvar was under the Venetian rule for centuries, and the most
        ancient testimonial of my surname is in Venice, in the ending of the
        1200's. Venetians were the most important traders that times, and for
        this reason I always considered a merchant connection through Venice
        as a good idea. I can add that the more ancient Biondo in Sicily
        (were my family is from), the years around 1400's, were traders.
        - Hvar, when under the Venetian rule, was the birth place of
        Giovanni Francesco Biondi (Ivan Franje Bjundovic in Croatian) a
        famous writer in the years around 1600. I know also of a Giovanni
        Biondi (Biondich ?) from Korcula as protestant priest in London the
        years around 1600, maybe the same person or maybe a relative of the
        former. It is interesting because Biondi is the plural form (in
        Italian) and the genitive form (in Latin) of my surname.
        Please, let me know what you know about Q in Hvar and Korcula, and
        feel free to reply privately to my email address (that you already
        know because I am a member of your group in FTDNA) if you prefer.

        Thank you very much.

        Alessandro Biondo.

        --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, KRUPA <mladen.krupa@...> wrote:

        > Dear Mr.Biondo,
        >
        > Thank You for such a long discussion.
        >
        > For me picture is not so murky.
        > We must look on haplogroup and haplotype matches in the same
        > time.
        > We should not care too much on distant haplotype matches as they
        > describe different time frame then this particular one-
        > cca.700-1.000 years ago. Also, we dont need to explain this
        > distant matches ancestors journey (for our purpose).
        > For example; there is number of Q's in Finland, but they have
        > nothing to do with us (no matches in haplotype). Finnish tribe
        > moved from Central Asia together with Hungars (where we also
        > have low number of Q's) from Central Asia.
        > So our geographic origin is similar, and confirm our statements
        > about primary origin.
        > Other pockets of Q's (including Island of Hvar in Croatia/where I
        > live/ with highest number of Q's in total population)shows some
        > other time frame and some other group of people with ancestral
        > origin in Central/North Asia.
        > Our matches from Asia describes our fathers travel from South
        > Siberia/North China via Silk Road,to Khazarian area (South
        > Russia),to Eastern Europe, then to Western Europe trough several
        > ways.
        > Just to add that in area where current Q's reside in South
        > Scandinavia, Khazarian artefacts has been found and detected.
        > You have probably heard about Khazarian coin with inscription
        > "Moses God's Prophet"?
        > In my exact matches list there is a few people who knows that
        > families converted from Judaism /Hungary,Poland /, and some
        > suspected on such event.
        > Finnaly, in any case there is really small number of "us", Jews
        > or no Jews".(To compare there is one member (one other
        > haplogroup) of my project with over 725 exact 12/12 markers
        > matches!)
        >

        > Alfred Krupa
        >

        > Citiram Alessandro Felice Biondo <alefbiondo@...>:
        >
        > > Dear all,
        > > I am the Alessandro Biondo cited by Dave about in his post. Let me
        > > add some ideas to the discussion about the origin of Q in
        Ashkenazim,
        > > and in non Ashkenazi European.
        > > First of all let me spend a word on the M378. As Rebekah and Dave
        > > already known, I was tested by Ethnoancestry for a series of SNP
        > > typical of the different Q subclades. In February EA reported I am
        > > positive for the M378 and negative for the M120, and in general I
        am
        > > positive for the M242 and the P36, and negative for the mutations
        of
        > > all the other Q's SNP I was tested. So there are two
        possibilities
        > > about the relations between M120 and M378: or the original study
        of
        > > Sengupta was wrong in positioning M378 downstream M120, or we
        carry
        > > a backward mutation on this SNP (but if this is the case we have
        also
        > > a backward mutation on MEH, and two backward mutation are
        excessive
        > > to be realistic).
        > > About the khazarian connection this is my thought.
        > > The Khazarian origin of Q is at present the more supported idea
        but,
        > > as all the theories, has strong points and weak points. The strong
        > > points are well explained by Mr Krupa in his works and his posts,
        and
        > > honestly we can say that this theory offer at present an answer
        for
        > > the presence of Q in Eastern European Ashkenazi. But I think it is
        > > necessary to add some word about the presence of Eastern European
        > > Ashkenazi in public databases. The Eastern European Ashkenazi are
        > > today well represented in the FTDNA and in general in public
        > > databases, so they are a well analyzed sample group, but I
        suspect
        > > also that all the public databases are a bit skewed toward this
        > > group, so the big picture is a bit less clear about other groups
        > > carrying the Q. In other words, if in public databases we have,
        for
        > > example 1000 men with Eastern European Ashkenazi roots, and only
        100
        > > men from the Western European Ashkenazi group, and the presence of
        > > Q is 5% of all the Ashkenazi, as result we have 50 Q from the
        > > eastern group and only 5 from the western group: the picture that
        > > come out is that the eastern men seem more important, when we
        analyze
        > > the origin of Q, than the western. The results is that we tend to
        > > concentrate our attention on the origin of Q in the eastern group.
        > > This idea lead to what I think is the weak point of the Khazarian
        > > connection
        > > The weak point of this theory is that it fail to give a good
        answer
        > > to the presence of Q in the Western European Ashkenazi and among
        > > other Europeans. For example in the Behar study of the 2004
        > > (Contrasting patterns of Y chromosome variation in Ashkenazi
        Jewish
> [...]
        > >>
        > >> Best regards to all,
        > >>
        > >> Dave
        > >>
        > >> **If about half the 14 million Jewish people in the world today
        are
        > > of
        > >> Ashkenazi descent and if half are women and about 4% of the
        > > Ashkenazim
        > >> are Haplogroup Q then there are about 14,000 male Ashkenazi-Qs in
        > > the
        > >> world today. If 25 years makes a generation then in 900 years
        there
        > >> are 36 generations. Trust me, one man could easily have 14,000
        male
        > >> descendants in this time frame.
        > >>

        > ---------------------- T - C o m - - W e b m a i l -----------------
        -----
        > Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom T-Com Webmail usluge
        > Uzivajte u shoppingu ne napustajuci udobnost svoga doma!

      • Alessandro Felice Biondo
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 15, 2008
          Reading the posts following my comments, it seems to me that the
          lenght of my comments highlighted some parts and shaded some other.
          Please let me highlight that even if I tried to see the big picture
          of the Q (based on SNP), I commented extensively also our particular
          haplotype, based on STR. This is precisely what I did when I wrote
          about the YHRD database (a public database of haplotypes, not
          haplogroup), commenting that here you can find many matches to our
          haplotype all around Europe and Western Asia. I cited also the data
          from the paper of Behar, where the author deals with STR marker.
          Again I created the "fairytale" of Q to permit us to view that with
          the FEW data we known today, we can imagine the origin of our
          particular Q in Khazaria but also outside from Khazaria, and in
          particular in the Middle Eastern area where, in the study of Zalloua
          and Cinnioglu I cited, you can easily find some interesting matches
          to our Q haplotype (STR), side by side with some, more different Q
          haplotypes (that's precisely the haplotype diversity). So I dealt
          extensively on our haplotype, not only with the general Q that I used
          only as a general frame: my purpose, and my writing, was not to deal
          with the origin of mankind, but only with the origin of our haplotype.
          So if all the scientist today agree (and we agree with them,
          obviously) that we are all descendant from African soil, the same
          scientist today haven't such extensively shared theory about our
          particular Q; and if the scientist haven't it yet, how can we sure
          of our theory?

          wrote:

> [...]
          > keep their data confidential as well as their conclusions prior to
          > publication.
          >
          > Bottom line, as of right now we don't know how we fit into the
          > family tree of mankind past the Q1 branch. We don't yet know how we
          > even got out on the Q1 branch.
          >
          > I bet you never thought anthropology could be so interesting!
          >
          > Best regards to all,
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > **If about half the 14 million Jewish people in the world today are
          of
          > Ashkenazi descent and if half are women and about 4% of the
          Ashkenazim
          > are Haplogroup Q then there are about 14,000 male Ashkenazi-Qs in
          the
          > world today. If 25 years makes a generation then in 900 years there
          > are 36 generations. Trust me, one man could easily have 14,000 male

        • Eben Haber
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 26, 2008
            Hello Cousins,

            I got the Deep Clade results back, which say that I'm Q1b.

            Interestingly, the results page list 12 Marker exact matches, and they
            include one Q, 11 Q1s, and two Q1bs. It doesn't list 25 or 37 marker
            matches, I don't know if that's because they haven't been tested, or
            if they just don't list them.

            What exactly does it mean to have an exact 12 Marker Match who is in a
            different Haplogroup? That the 12-marker match happened before the
            haplogroup split off? That they converged by chance?

            Thanks,

            -Eben Haber
          • christopher baysinger
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 26, 2008
              I got mine back as well, Q1b.

              Christopher D. Baysinger, cdbaysinger@...

              Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.

                   Mark Twain

              A man can be free without being great, but no man can be great without being free.

                   Kahlil Gibran

              To: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com
              From: eben@...
              Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:34:51 -0700
              Subject: [Ashkenazi-Q] It looks li Sendke I'm Q1b....

              Hello Cousins,

              I got the Deep Clade results back, which say that I'm Q1b.

              Interestingly, the results page list 12 Marker exact matches, and they
              include one Q, 11 Q1s, and two Q1bs. It doesn't list 25 or 37 marker
              matches, I don't know if that's because they haven't been tested, or
              if they just don't list them.

              What exactly does it mean to have an exact 12 Marker Match who is in a
              different Haplogroup? That the 12-marker match happened before the
              haplogroup split off? That they converged by chance?

              Thanks,

              -Eben Haber

              Talk to your Yahoo! Friends via Windows Live Messenger. Find Out How