Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Testing Additional yDNA Markers When You Have No Exact...

  • abramselaine@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2013

      In a message dated 7/2/2013 6:31:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Abramselaine@... writes:

      Thank you, Dave,

      Of course, what you say makes complete sense. No, no one has pushed me to test further.
      I just wondered about it.

      When in Argentina 2 years ago I met and stayed with Santiago Shalumuk who is just 1 gene away
      on the 67 marker. Family photos of his uncle looked like a twin to my father. Very exciting but
      still no answers. And, what I'm finding, is that people don't stay in touch. Michael Palmer and I do
      e-mail and have met once. Will meet again at the conference.

      Any chance that you'll be coming to the conference? Do you know of anyone who will be in Boston?
      Would love to meet.

      Thanks again, Dave,
      Cousin Elaine

      In a message dated 7/2/2013 2:38:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dshoward@... writes:

      Elaine,

      You are a perfect example. At 67 you have three exact matches. You have contacted these three and you are not able to match up using the paper trail.

      If you were to go to the next level and have more markers tested think about what the results might be. One, two or all three of your exact matches may no longer be exact matches.

      Remember when you had only tested at 37 markers and you were an exact match with five people including me. We all went to 67 markers and another peson and I fell of your list of exact matches leaving you with three.

      The more markers tested THE FEWER EXACT MATCHES YOU WILL HAVE!!!

      This is why I so strongly disagree with those who suggest you have more markers tested when you can't link up with the matches you have already.

      Make sure that those who are encouraging you to have more matches don't work for the company doing the testing.

      I do want to say that Bennett Greenspan has always preached to me that you only have more markers tested if you have many exact matches. In my opinion this is a very ethical statement. I am not sure all of the volunteers who work with him understand this ethical approach.

      I still think that you and I may be related when we both had relatives is Estonia.

      Kind regards and best wishes

      Dave