Overlapping Chanukah and Thanksgiving, 2013

  • A Silver
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
      interesting

      CHANUKAH AND THANKSGIVING (US) 2013
      Thought that you would find this interesting if you did not already know about it!
      Once in an eternity will Hanukkah and Thanksgiving overlap. They will this year; 2013. On November 28, 2013. That’s never happened before ... and it will never happen again.
      Here comes more than you wanted to know!
      Thanksgiving is inexorably set as the fourth Thursday in November. That means the latest any Thanksgiving can happen is on November 28th. As for Hannukah, the earliest it can occur is November 28th.
      The Jewish calendar repeats on a 19 year cycle. Thanksgiving repeats on a 7 year cycle. You would therefore expect them to coincide roughly every 133 years (19x7). Looking back, this is approximately correct – the last time it could have happened was in 1861. But Thanksgiving was not established until 1893. So that’s never happened before and won’t happen again.
      Why?
      Because the Jewish calendar is very slowly getting out of sync with the solar calendar, at a rate of 4 days per 1000 years (not bad for a many centuries old calendar!) This means that while Hanukkah can be as early as November 28th, over the years the calendar will drift forward, so that the earliest Hanukkah can be is November 29th. The next time Hanukkah will fall on November 28th is in the year 2146 (which is a Monday). Therefore, 2013 is the only time Hanukkah will ever be the same day as Thanksgiving.
      Of course, if the Jewish calendar is never modified in any way, it will slowly move forward through the Gregorian calendar, until it loops all the way back to where it is now. So, Hanukkah will again fall on Thursday, November 28th in the year 79,811. Consider that as "never again".

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

        Thanks, Silver.  Oy, guess I should start shopping pretty soon, then.  Can't imagine getting ready for both on the same day.  Turkey with sufganiot and latkas.
        Nadene Goldfoot

      • abramselaine@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013

          This is soooo interesting. Thank you, Silver. And thank you, Nadene, for the laugh although there is truth to it.
          Elaine

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 27, 2013
            You've got a point there! Doesn't sound too appetizing does it.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
              Morning,

              I will be sure to share this with our grandchildren.
              Thanks,
              Joel

               Joel Marks Chair, Hadassah Associates Greater Miami Region 954-713-803 4 404-660-7196

              • jeemar@bellsouth.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                  Hi
                  We know Helen well as we work
                  on a project together for Hadassah
                  Joel

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                    Joel
                    Am in Weston
                    Are there enough members to have a
                    Florida get together

                    We did one in Chicago n one in NYC

                    Sent from JERRY HORWITZ

[...]

                    Horwitz and Associates is not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information about any transaction, customer account or account activity contained in this communication. This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this communication is strictly prohibited. Thank you.
                  • A Silver

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                        Hi Amy,

                        Our last name, from Romania was Marquiles, so I was told.  Name changed in USA to Marks.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 28, 2013
                          Hi Jerry,
                          We live off Las Olas Blvd in Ft. lauderdale.
                          We can always get together no matter how many of us, would be fun.