Re: The Genetic Makeup of Ashkenazi Jewish - See the interesting studies.

  • Dave Howard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2008
      The mtDNA and yDNA data is helping us find what happened.

      It appears that the ancestors of Ashkenazim migrated north out of
      Italy and the Mediterannian area and at one point the total size of
      the total group was about 25,000 people. Additionally, there was very
      little intermarriage (about 0.5%) up until about 100 years ago.

      This constant inbreeding has created some serious genetically related
      health issues such as Tay-Sachs, Canavan disease, Gaucher's disease,
      Niemann-Pick disease, Mucolipidosis type IV, and other lipid storage
      disorders and sphingolipid diseases. Some of these diseases
      (especially torsion dystonia) have been shown to correlate with high
      intelligence, and others are known to cause neurons to grow an
      increased number of connections to neighboring neurons.

      The source for the above is the 2005 study Natural History of
      Ashkenazi Intelligence by Gregory Chochran, Jason Hardy, and Henry
      Harpending as quoted in Wikipedia
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_intelligence

      Nevertheless, there is still room for speculation. I enjoy
      reading and thinking about the many interesting alternatives. But
      every day the DNA evidence is tells more of the real story.

      Dave

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, jason silber <jason_silber@...> wrote:

      > Rebeka, Mr Krupa and Dave,
      > The discussion of the nature of Jewish identity is truly a
      fascinating one.
      > Khazaria is an intrguing subject, yet if it was the main source of
      Ashkenazi Jewry, why has its history been largely lost in the mists of
      time? we know more about the far older Roman empire than the Khazars.

      > Fact is, there was an migration of many proto ashkenazis from
      western Europe eastward.
      > since people multiply so rapidly its completely reasonable to assume
      that this was the main source of eastern european Jewry.

      Howard

      > Ashkenazi Levites Multiple Origins YDNA.pdf
      >
      > This interesting article was published by Behar et al in September
      >
      > 2003 suggests that there may have been a single European male ancestor
      >
      > from whom about 50% of Ashkenazi Levites are descended.
      >

      > Ashkenazi mtDNA Evidence for Early Bottlneck.pdf
      >
      > This article published in January 2004 by Behar et al is a preview to
      >
      > the article later published in January 2006.
      >

      > Extracting Y-Chromosome DNA in Atalia.pdf
      >
      > Cinnioglu et al published this article in October 2003 and it
      >
      > discusses the various haplogroups of the Anatolian Peninsula (Asia
      >
      > Minor) and discusses the mixture with Europeans. It is interesting to
      >
      > compare the yDNA of the Turkish people with that of the Ashkenazi
      Jewish.