Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Perfect Match?

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 7, 2012
      Hi Andrew,
      I found you by seaching Pelter.  I can't search by kits numbers.  I found you at the 12 allele level but you were listed having 37 allele test; not 67.  With this information I see that we could have had a common ancestor in the years around 1300-1400, specifically around 1312.  The tip report told me that at 28 generations we had a 76.64% chance of having a common ancestor and that at 24 generations the odds were 69.3%.  I figure one generation is 25 about years so did 28 X 25=700 and subtracted that from 2012 which is 1312.   Now, being back then people produced children at young ages, if a generation was 20 years, that would have been 500 years ago=1512.  Let's say 1492.  That's the year Columbus sailed the ocean blue.  At that period was the Spanish Inquisition and Jews in Spain had to convert or become conversos, hidden Jews.  Many left for Portugal.  I have no idea if we were there, but it could have affected a lot of places.  The Inquisition was huge.  I'm not sure what Rebekah uses for a generation number.

      I think you should be able to find us by putting in Goldfoot.  2 Goldfoots will come up; Ian and David.  We're David.  We had the 67 allele test and it should come up with that.
      Though you were not raised Jewish, it looks like you had Jewish ancestors.  Things happen.  Children lose interest, forget, move away, killed, wars, marry out of the faith, I can go on and on how we have had this happen.  Now, what events were happening around 1300?  I'm not sure, but we may have been moving into Germany and eventually will move up to Eastern Europe, but not yet, I don't think.

      Thanks for writing to me about it.  It's exciting to find people who match.  I'm still working on how my line became Jewish in the first place.  I'm thinking we could be originals, coming from Ur where Abraham lived and left.  We're (Q1b1a or Q L245) such a small group, 5% of the Jewish men of today.

      Nadene Goldfoot

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 30, 2012
        David,

        I am the group administrator for the Jewish-Q group at Family Tree DNA.

        I would say this. If your nearest match is at a genetic distance of 1 you will not find more matches at all if you have more markers tested. You will be wasting your money unless you want to put a feather in the cap of Rebecca for getting more people to spend money.

        Here is why - If at 12 markers you had 50 exact matches your closest relative could have been hundreds of years ago. You need to have more markers tested to see how many of the 50 are close relatives. If you go to 37 markers and have 5 exact matches you should be able to exchange information with those 5 and see if you can connect.

        When they check more of your markers against others you are going to have fewer and fewer exact matches.

        I had 3 exact matches at 37 and we could not connect. We all went to 67 markers and now I have no exact matches. -- If I go to 111 markers I would be completely wasting my money if I am trying to find a relative. I already have no exact matches. I am like you.

        I think you would get a bigger bang for your buck by joining the Family Finder at Family Tree DNA.

        The family finder is disappointing because if you have an Ashkenazi Jewish background you will find out our parents and grandparents were all cousins.

        My closest match in the family finder at Family Tree DNA is Max Blankfield the #2 guy at Family Tree DNA and we cannot link up hardly at all. He has relatives from Latvia and I have relatives from Latvia.

        You might just want to stop for a while at Family Tree DNA and go to 23andME.com They really give you a tremendous bargain for $99. You get your yDNA, your mtDNA, their Relative Finder, plus health information. They charge a monthly fee but it is pennies compared to how much Family Tree DNA costs. They have a large Jewish database.

        I hope this is useful information.

        Dave Howard

      • rlkushner@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012

          Thanks for the information.  I came to the same conclusion, but you put it together in a  more logical easy to understand manner.

          I miss Barry Zwick.  Barry was a great asset to the Site. I was shocked when he died.  I had no idea he suffered from diabetes. Dave, you always have made important contributions as well.

          bob kushner

> [...]

          > > Are there any educated guesses how many generations back a perfect match at 67 markers might be? I was extremely lucky to find a perfect match, especially since I know nothing about my father or his family. Any help or guidance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly advanced at research, but I have never specifically researched Jewish heritage.

        • A Silver
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012
            Gentlemen,

            Thanks for the information.  I think it's amazing that Andrew found a perfect match at the 67 marker level (0 steps) test. As was Dave's experience, my brother tested to 37 markers and we only matched 2-3 people.  Rebecca advised us not to do the 67 marker.  We haven't gone the 23andME route yet.

            Andrew, since you have no information about your father's family, I would approach research the old-fashion way - starting with what you do know. If your Mother or the parents who raised you are still alive they would obviously be a great resource. However, in the event they are not, your own birth certificate is a good starting point. The birth certificate will give you a location (state and city) where a transaction occurred. Your parents or guardian would have to have shown some type of proof of your origin in order to obtain a replacement birth certificate. If it was in the U.S., chances are good that they still have the information on file.

            The National Archives offers genealogy workshops nationwide. You can find their schedule online http://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/events/
            I took a class on using the census and it proved to be most helpful.  For example, I found out the name of the town in the Ukraine that my grandmother's family originated in the 1920's census. Granted, it might be a long shot, but you may be able to find out your origin too.

            Good luck on your search.

            Amy Silver
            aka Sans-y

> [...]

            > > Are there any educated guesses how many generations back a perfect match at 67 markers might be? I was extremely lucky to find a perfect match, especially since I know nothing about my father or his family. Any help or guidance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly advanced at research, but I have never specifically researched Jewish heritage.

          • Janette Silverman
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012
              Indeed Barry was - I quoted him extensively in the sction on DNA in my
              dissertation

              Janette

            • laryoung
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
                We need a volunteer to step forward and replace Barry. The work he did for all of us in interviewing new Q1b's and then editing the response so we knew how many Doctor's, Lawyer's, and Engineer's etc. were amongst us, where we live and our stories is really missed. I think there were approximately two dozen new Q1b's last year (2012) about whom we know nothing and they know nothing about the rest of us. I would consider doing it but I was raised Christian and cannot answer questions or read tombstone inscriptions such as Barry was able to do; also as an engineer I'm not a good wordsmith. How about one of our lawyer cousins who understands the customs and traditions of most of us stepping forward since I do not recall another newspaper person such as Barry within our ranks.

                Larry Young

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
                  I agree with Larry.  We need another Barry.  By the way, tombstone inscriptions can be deciphered by going to the website of Jewish Genealogy http://jewishgen.org.  It's a free website and has tons of information.  I found my grandfather's birth recorded there as I had a feeling he would be from Telsiai, Lithuania, but wasn't sure.  Barry was also very capable with computers and spread sheets, etc, I believe, another skill needed.
                  Nadene Goldfoot

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
                    If memory serves me correctly, Dave Howard was a journalist.

                  • K E EPHRAIM
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 10, 2013
                      yeah, Barry was great

                      To: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com