Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: David Pelter's DNA

    Hi Janet, Buying surnames has been told about in history books. Jews in Eastern Europe were still using the method of saying they were Moshe ben Avraham,
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012
      Hi Janet,
      Buying surnames has been told about in history books.  Jews in Eastern Europe were still using the method of saying they were Moshe ben Avraham, Moses, son of Abraham.  They didn't use surnames.  For tax purposes, the army, etc, they had to have surnames for the state.  Information  in "Finding Our Fathers, a guidebook to Jewish genealogy by Dan Rottenberg page 49-53 on names.  I'm not taking time to read the pages again right now, but remember reading someplace that they did buy names and that a name like Gold...was very expensive and that there were names that were much cheaper.  There were some East European families that did maintain family names, however.  Since I have found Goldfoot family on the East coast that are not Jewish and have a completely different dna haplogroup and different pattern of naming people as I found in the LDS library online, I have a feeling that my ancestor copied their surname for some reason.  They did go back to a part of Germany, in there somewhere.  I know that Jews have migrated through Germany and on up to Eastern Europe as well as one highway to get there, so wondered if we hadn't been there already.