How old the is the subgroup Q1b1a ?

  • Nawaf
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2012
      Hi, I got my dna results recently and was kinda of surprised,because I belong to relatively old Arabic tribe in Saudi Arabia. I tried looking up info on q1b1a, but all that I can seem to find is general info on the main group Q, saying that originated 15,000-20,000 years ago etc. I'm wondering when did the q1b1a subgroup originate ? and where ?

      Nawaf,
    • king harold
      Message 2 of 13 , May 14, 2012
        Hello Nawaf:

        It might seem strange at first but when you study ancient middle eastern history one thing stands out; The history of the Near East is just a list of  human migrations (invasions). The Hittites and  Hyksos, were non-semetic and likely from central Asia, the Medes, the Persians, the Turks (Altaics and could be a reasonable Q contribution).

        It goes to show you that can never really know exactly who you are...

        Brian

        Message 3 of 13 , May 14, 2012

          Hi Nawaf and Brian, we have found Ashkenazi Jews with Q1b1a like my father's line.  5% of Jews today are of Q1b1, and Jews make up a small % of the world population, less than 1%.  Jews were in Saudi Arabia living in Medina, etc.  There had been two expulsions at different periods from Jerusalem where they were taken captive, and in the trek or something, managed to live there.  So it's possible your ancestor  was of a tribe of Jews that had converted.  I know, I was surprised, too.  Nadene

          Message 4 of 13 , May 14, 2012

            Nawaf, according to what familytreedna originally told me, our origins started in Siberia, Mongolia and parts of Turkey or Turkestan.  American natives are Q3, showing we have a common ancestor there as well.  This all was probably 15,000-20,000 years ago.  Since then we're all trying to figure out who our common ancestor was, and I think we have one from about 1,000 years ago.  This is a good question for Rebekah.  I'm just elated to find so many wonderful cousins.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 14, 2012
              It would be unrealistic to think that arabic tribes native to Arabia did not mix and occasionally experience intermariage with newcomers from central asia (hittites, turks, indoeuropean persians, etc)

              Message 6 of 13 , May 14, 2012

                That too, but there were also Jewish tribes living in Medina at the time of Mohammad.
[...]

              • Albert Benhamou
                Message 7 of 13 , May 14, 2012
                  Indeed Nadene, all the Jews of Arabia had been killed or converted by force at the time of Mohammad and the Jihad. The finding of Q1b1a in this region is not surprising. Albert

                  Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:26 AM

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                    I guess it makes sense, since as a far as I know my tribe/family originated near Medina. I was under the impression that all Jewish people were either killed or banished during Mohammad's time, from studying Islamic history in high school. I guess some remained and survived.
                    Thanks for replying!
                    Nawaf,

                    > That too, but there were also Jewish tribes living in Medina at the time of Mohammad.

                  • Jason Vick
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                      Yep, I hear he was really good pals with a local Jewish community. Google "Banu Qurayza 900" for some insights. Jews were definitely on the peninsula.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2012

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 15, 2012

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 15, 2012

                            Yes, I read that Mohammad himself married a young Jewish girl.

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 16, 2012
                              Nawaf, here a website that names some of the Jewish tribes of that period, the Banu Nadir in northern Arabia until the 7th century, Banu Qurayza and Banu Qaynuqa. Evidently there were more than these 3.   They went there after the Roman persecution, probably after 70 CE.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Nadir