Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Our Q' on the Silk Road: Could Some Be From Afghanistan?

  • Gerald Horwitz
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 4, 2012
      Not you.     But ask Dave Howard

      Sent from Jerry's iPad

      On Mar 4, 2012, at 7:32 PM, "NADENE GOLDFOOT" <goldfoot1@...> wrote:

      Spain?  Where did I say that?  Nadene
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 3:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Our Q' on the Silk Road: Could Some Be From Afghanistan?

      Spain played into our history?
      Dave Howard shud have Some input to all of this

      Sent from JERRY HORWITZ

      On Mar 4, 2012, at 5:57 PM, "NADENE GOLDFOOT" <goldfoot1@...> wrote:

      Hi Jerry,
      That's the exciting part of having Q as your Y haplogroup.  We're 5% of the Jewish male population.  My brother tested as Q1b1 and I finally found my grandfather on http://www.jewishgen.org/ (free Jewish website) born in Telsiai, Lithuania.  No telling how long the family was there, but the question is: where did Q's come from before that, and the dna tells us Siberia, Mongolia and parts of Turkey.  There were Jewish group all along the Silk Road, and we figure some even may have had a connection to the Khazars of Khazaria's Royal Court.  I don't know if we'll ever learn but it's fun finding information about Jews living in these exotic places.
      Nadene Goldfoot
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 20, 2012
        Hi all,

        Spain specifically plays a role in the history of the name Horowitz, but there are a few complications with this story.

        The original "Ish-Horowitz" was a Sephardi-cum-Ashkenazi Jew from the town of Horovice, Bohemia (now Czech Repblic). It was presumed that all Horowitzes, Gurevitches, Horwitzes, Hurwitzes, etc. were descended from this famous Spanish-Czech-German-Polish family. But most Horowitzes are R1a, and a minority (though a solid one) are Q1b. I think it remains to be seen to which clade Ish-Horowitz himself belonged.

        R1a is quite common--by my estimates, 234% more common than Q1b among Jewish men. So it's really a question of how prodigious Horowitz really was vs. how many unrelated men assumed the name when Jews had to take last names; that's leaving aside the obvious question of non-paternity somewhere along the line.

        I think if Horowitzes prove to have a closer genetic affinity to the Sephardic subclades of Q1b, it might provide some insight into the ultimate origins of your lineage. While my name obviously isn't Horowitz, I do seem to have a number of autosomal matches with a number of Horowitzes who share my Q1b, so I've been doing some research into this.

        --D. J. Waletzky