Re: New Developments - Many Q1b's are now Q1b1* or more

  • goldfootn
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
      Hi David,
      I just got this by googling SNP L245. I guess I haven't given this group my new email address of goldfoot1@...
      I wanted to tell you that I just ordered the L 245 and the L272 SNP test for my brother, David Goldfoot after reading Rebekah's email about new SNPs for another group. I check the tree and found that these were recommended for our particular haplogroup. Your report below makes it much easier to understand. I hope the results will tell some interesting things.
      Nadene Goldfoot

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dshoward@...> wrote:

      > I recently attended the Group Administrators' Conference in Houston
      > Texas put on by Family Tree DNA. Thanks to the good work of Rebekah
      > Canada, Alissandro Biondo and others, the Y-chromosome Tree has been
      > updated. Most of us are now Q1b1*. There are new tests in process right
      > now which may show we are Q1b1a or Q1b1b.
      >
      > If you go to Rebekah's site at Family Tree DNA you can see how the new
      > SNPs have changed the chart. What she does not show is the newly
      > published tree which does recognize some of her work. What is most
      > significant for all of us is that we all probably have the L245 SNP.
      >
      > Click on this link to see Rebekah's New Tree.
      > <http://www.familytreedna.com/public/yDNA_Q/default.aspx>
      >
      > When we all first started we were told we were in Haplogroup Q meaning
      > that we had the M242 SNP generic to all Haplogroup Q members. It is
      > theorized that this mutation took place about 20,000 years ago in
      > Siberia. Then they found the P36.2 SNP which showed we branched off from
      > the Siberian group more than 12,000 years ago when a group of Q's
      > migrated to the Western Hemisphere.
      >
      > More recently they found we all had M378 SNP which is found among a
      > small percentage of the Hazara tribe in India and a small percentage of
      > the Sindhi tribe of Pakistan. How and when this link to a group of
      > Ashkenazi Jewish people took place has been the subject of some
      > interesting and confusing debates in this chat room.
      >
      > But the L245 SNP is downstream from the M378. Downstream means evolved
      > later in time. This makes us even more unique. Two of our members have
      > SNPs downstream from the L245. One is the L272 and the other is the
      > L315.
      > These more recent mutations may have evolved within a few hundred years
      > in the Mediterranean area.
      >
      > Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these
      > newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this.
      >
      > Family Tree DNA posts its version of the draft y-chromosome tree at the
      > following link. But Rebekah's is more up-to-date and gives much more
      > information - the link above.
      >
      > Draft Y-Tree at FTDNA Site
      > <http://ytree.ftdna.com/index.php?name=Draft&parent=31182976>
      >
      > I personally believe these new discoveries will put to rest any notion
      > that the Khazars or the mythical Ashina were the source of our Qness.
      >
      > As more and more downstream SNPs are discovered we may eventually find
      > there is one unique to Ashkenazi Jewish Qs. I will wait for Rebekah and
      > Alissandro to announce this.
      >
      > I would like to personally express my appreciation to Rebekah,
      > Alissandro and the others who are doing this work on our behalf.
      >
      > If you do not understand what I am talking about post a response. If you
      > do understand what I am talking about and know more than me please post
      > a response.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Dave Howard

    • A Silver
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
        Dave,

        This is exciting stuff !  Thanks for your continued involvement, as well as Rebekah's and the other contributors.

        Kind regards,

        A Silver

        On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Dave <dshoward@...> wrote:

[...]

        A. Silver
        Silver Performance Gear
        207.423.5740

        Smart Textiles + Smart Design = Smart Gear (c)

      • cjloha
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 20, 2011
          Rebekah,
          Please feel free to use my results in your study as well.

          Thank you

          Charles Harris

          --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Joseph" <bjeffreyjoseph@...> wrote:

          > Hi Rebekah - OK to use a sample of my DNA - will also send some green stuff
          > to help out with the costs.
          >

          > Look forward to hearing any results.
          >

          > Kind Regards
          >

          > Jeff Joseph

        • jerry
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
            i found that i had the q haplotype a few years ago but never tested further after that. i'm full blooded ashkenazi jew, so can i assume that i have the same snp (whatever that is) as you?
            g.prager

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 27, 2011
              Rebekah,
              Happy to contribute my DNA test results to Your research
              Nikolay Perper