Re: Jewish Gen

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2010
      Robert,

      I have had some long chats with Warren Blatt of JewishGen. Let me assure
      you it is a work of love and they are severely underfunded. The service
      they provide is terrific. They have had a miserable time with their
      finances and had to cave in and become part of a charity group that they
      thought would fund them. But this did not work out. So they caved in
      again and were forced to accept an offer they could not refuse from
      Ancestry.com. I have to say that it appears Ancestry has kept its word
      and allowed the service to continue free.

      I do give $$$ to JewishGen because I believe in what they do. This money
      goes to them and not to Ancestry. You only have to give if you want to.
      For me the $100 is well worth it for the good they do. They are a
      wonderful service to the Jewish community.

      I belong to the Litvak SIG, Belarus SIG and Latvia SIG. Some do more
      than others. I am on the board of the Latvia SIG. I would say that
      contributions here are completely voluntary. On the other hand these
      groups are all works of love and they are really getting us a lot of
      information. I do support them as well.

      I feel that charitable contributions are really a matter of personal
      choice.

      Dave

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, Robert Michelson <ramichel@...>
      wrote:

      > This is not really free. Alright, it is free but if you want to get
      into the
      > whole package, it asks for a $100.00 donation. Plus a donation for
      Litvak Sig