Re: Jewish Gen

  • Robert Michelson
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2010
      This is not really free.  Alright, it is free but if you want to get into the whole package, it asks for a  $100.00 donation.  Plus a donation for Litvak Sig plus a donation for JRI-Poland if you are so inclined.

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2010
        Robert,

        I have had some long chats with Warren Blatt of JewishGen. Let me assure
        you it is a work of love and they are severely underfunded. The service
        they provide is terrific. They have had a miserable time with their
        finances and had to cave in and become part of a charity group that they
        thought would fund them. But this did not work out. So they caved in
        again and were forced to accept an offer they could not refuse from
        Ancestry.com. I have to say that it appears Ancestry has kept its word
        and allowed the service to continue free.

        I do give $$$ to JewishGen because I believe in what they do. This money
        goes to them and not to Ancestry. You only have to give if you want to.
        For me the $100 is well worth it for the good they do. They are a
        wonderful service to the Jewish community.

        I belong to the Litvak SIG, Belarus SIG and Latvia SIG. Some do more
        than others. I am on the board of the Latvia SIG. I would say that
        contributions here are completely voluntary. On the other hand these
        groups are all works of love and they are really getting us a lot of
        information. I do support them as well.

        I feel that charitable contributions are really a matter of personal
        choice.

        Dave

        --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, Robert Michelson <ramichel@...>