New Developments - Many Q1b's are now Q1b1* or more

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 21, 2010
      I recently attended the Group Administrators' Conference in Houston Texas put on by Family Tree DNA. Thanks to the good work of Rebekah Canada, Alissandro Biondo and others, the Y-chromosome Tree has been updated. Most of us are now Q1b1*. There are new tests in process right now which may show we are Q1b1a or Q1b1b.

      If you go to Rebekah's site at Family Tree DNA you can see how the new SNPs have changed the chart. What she does not show is the newly published tree which does recognize some of her work. What is most significant for all of us is that we all probably have the L245 SNP.

      Click on this link to see Rebekah's New Tree.

      When we all first started we were told we were in Haplogroup Q meaning that we had the M242 SNP generic to all Haplogroup Q members. It is theorized that this mutation took place about 20,000 years ago in Siberia. Then they found the P36.2 SNP which showed we branched off from the Siberian group more than 12,000 years ago when a group of Q's migrated to the Western Hemisphere.

      More recently they found we all had M378 SNP which is found among a small percentage of the Hazara tribe in India and a small percentage of the Sindhi tribe of Pakistan. How and when this link to a group of Ashkenazi Jewish people took place has been the subject of some interesting and confusing debates in this chat room.

      But the L245 SNP is downstream from the M378. Downstream means evolved later in time. This makes us even more unique. Two of our members have SNPs downstream from the L245. One is the L272 and the other is the L315.
      These more recent mutations may have evolved  within a few hundred years in the Mediterranean area.

      Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this.

      Family Tree DNA posts its version of the draft y-chromosome tree at the following link. But Rebekah's is more up-to-date and gives much more information - the link above.

      Draft Y-Tree at FTDNA Site

      I personally believe these new discoveries will put to rest any notion that the Khazars or the mythical Ashina were the source of our Qness.

      As more and more downstream SNPs are discovered we may eventually find there is one unique to Ashkenazi Jewish Qs. I will wait for Rebekah and Alissandro to announce this.

      I would like to personally express my appreciation to Rebekah, Alissandro and the others who are doing this work on our behalf.

      If you do not understand what I am talking about post a response. If you do understand what I am talking about and know more than me please post a response.

    • Barryzwick@aol.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 21, 2010
          Dear Dave,

          "Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these
          newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this."

          Does this further testing cost us, and how to consent for it?

          Thanks,
          Judy Papian for William Papian
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 21, 2010
            Rebekah needs your consent to use your DNA sample. She has people who contribute to her project. Additionally, she pays for many of the tests herself.

            She is a full time graduate student and at the same time she probably spends 80 hours a week as a volunteer genetic genealogist. I hate it to think she also pays for tests out of her own money for us.

            You do not have to contribute to her fund. However, anyone who would like to help her out Click Here.  Give her $24 if you want to help a little. Give her more if you can afford it.

            Dave

            --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, Judy Papian <jpapian@...> wrote:

            > Dear Dave,
            >
            > "Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these
            > newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this."
            >
            > Does this further testing cost us, and how to consent for it?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Judy Papian for William Papian

          • Jeff Joseph
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 28, 2010

              Hi Rebekah - OK to use a sample of my DNA - will also send some green stuff to help out with the costs.

              Look forward to hearing any results.

              Kind Regards

              Jeff Joseph

            • Abramselaine@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
                I have repeatedly tried to open Paypal at this site and have been unable to.  Does anyone have an answer?
                Thank you,  Elaine

                In a message dated 11/21/2010 10:59:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, dshoward@... writes:

                Rebekah needs your consent to use your DNA sample. She has people who contribute to her project. Additionally, she pays for many of the tests herself.

                She is a full time graduate student and at the same time she probably spends 80 hours a week as a volunteer genetic genealogist. I hate it to think she also pays for tests out of her own money for us.

                You do not have to contribute to her fund. However, anyone who would like to help her out Click Here.  Give her $24 if you want to help a little. Give her more if you can afford it.

                Dave

                --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, Judy Papian <jpapian@...> wrote:

                > Dear Dave,
                >
                > "Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these
                > newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this."
                >
                > Does this further testing cost us, and how to consent for it?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Judy Papian for William Papian

              • Alessandro
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
                  A note from the first page of the Y-DNA Haplogroup Q project:

                  http://www.familytreedna.com/public/yDNA_Q/default.aspx

                  << At this time, it is not possible to donate through PayPal. To make a donation, please call the FTDNA office, Phone: (713) 868-1438, or use this form to mail a check or money order. >>

                  Alessandro.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2010
                    Thank you, Alessandro   ---  Elaine

                    In a message dated 12/4/2010 11:39:46 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, alefbiondo@... writes:

                    A note from the first page of the Y-DNA Haplogroup Q project:

                    http://www.familytreedna.com/public/yDNA_Q/default.aspx

                    << At this time, it is not possible to donate through PayPal. To make a donation, please call the FTDNA office, Phone: (713) 868-1438, or use this form to mail a check or money order. >>

                    Alessandro.

                    --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, Abramselaine@... wrote:

                    > I have repeatedly tried to open Paypal at this site and have been unable
                    > to. Does anyone have an answer?
                    > Thank you, Elaine
                    >

                    > In a message dated 11/21/2010 10:59:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > dshoward@... writes:
                    >

                    > Rebekah needs your consent to use your DNA sample. She has people who
                    > contribute to her project. Additionally, she pays for many of the tests herself.
                    >
                    > She is a full time graduate student and at the same time she probably
                    > spends 80 hours a week as a volunteer genetic genealogist. I hate it to think
                    > she also pays for tests out of her own money for us.
                    >
                    > You do not have to contribute to her fund. However, anyone who would like
                    > to help her out _Click Here._
                    > (http://www.familytreedna.com/group-general-fund-contribution.aspx?g=Q-YDNA) Give her $24 if you want to help a
                    > little. Give her more if you can afford it.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >

                    > --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, Judy Papian <jpapian@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dear Dave,
                    > >
                    > > "Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these
                    > > newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this."
                    > >
                    > > Does this further testing cost us, and how to consent for it?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Judy Papian for William Papian

                  • goldfootn
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                      Hi David,
                      I just got this by googling SNP L245. I guess I haven't given this group my new email address of goldfoot1@...
                      I wanted to tell you that I just ordered the L 245 and the L272 SNP test for my brother, David Goldfoot after reading Rebekah's email about new SNPs for another group. I check the tree and found that these were recommended for our particular haplogroup. Your report below makes it much easier to understand. I hope the results will tell some interesting things.
                      Nadene Goldfoot

                      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dshoward@...> wrote:

                      > I recently attended the Group Administrators' Conference in Houston
                      > Texas put on by Family Tree DNA. Thanks to the good work of Rebekah
                      > Canada, Alissandro Biondo and others, the Y-chromosome Tree has been
                      > updated. Most of us are now Q1b1*. There are new tests in process right
                      > now which may show we are Q1b1a or Q1b1b.
                      >
                      > If you go to Rebekah's site at Family Tree DNA you can see how the new
                      > SNPs have changed the chart. What she does not show is the newly
                      > published tree which does recognize some of her work. What is most
                      > significant for all of us is that we all probably have the L245 SNP.
                      >
                      > Click on this link to see Rebekah's New Tree.
                      > <http://www.familytreedna.com/public/yDNA_Q/default.aspx>
                      >
                      > When we all first started we were told we were in Haplogroup Q meaning
                      > that we had the M242 SNP generic to all Haplogroup Q members. It is
                      > theorized that this mutation took place about 20,000 years ago in
                      > Siberia. Then they found the P36.2 SNP which showed we branched off from
                      > the Siberian group more than 12,000 years ago when a group of Q's
                      > migrated to the Western Hemisphere.
                      >
                      > More recently they found we all had M378 SNP which is found among a
                      > small percentage of the Hazara tribe in India and a small percentage of
                      > the Sindhi tribe of Pakistan. How and when this link to a group of
                      > Ashkenazi Jewish people took place has been the subject of some
                      > interesting and confusing debates in this chat room.
                      >
                      > But the L245 SNP is downstream from the M378. Downstream means evolved
                      > later in time. This makes us even more unique. Two of our members have
                      > SNPs downstream from the L245. One is the L272 and the other is the
                      > L315.
                      > These more recent mutations may have evolved within a few hundred years
                      > in the Mediterranean area.
                      >
                      > Since many of you have consented to have your samples tested for these
                      > newly discovered SNPs we will soon know so much more about this.
                      >
                      > Family Tree DNA posts its version of the draft y-chromosome tree at the
                      > following link. But Rebekah's is more up-to-date and gives much more
                      > information - the link above.
                      >
                      > Draft Y-Tree at FTDNA Site
                      > <http://ytree.ftdna.com/index.php?name=Draft&parent=31182976>
                      >
                      > I personally believe these new discoveries will put to rest any notion
                      > that the Khazars or the mythical Ashina were the source of our Qness.
                      >
                      > As more and more downstream SNPs are discovered we may eventually find
                      > there is one unique to Ashkenazi Jewish Qs. I will wait for Rebekah and
                      > Alissandro to announce this.
                      >
                      > I would like to personally express my appreciation to Rebekah,
                      > Alissandro and the others who are doing this work on our behalf.
                      >
                      > If you do not understand what I am talking about post a response. If you
                      > do understand what I am talking about and know more than me please post
                      > a response.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Dave Howard

                    • A Silver
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 12, 2011
                        Dave,

                        This is exciting stuff !  Thanks for your continued involvement, as well as Rebekah's and the other contributors.

                        Kind regards,

                        A Silver

                        On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Dave <dshoward@...> wrote:

[...]

                        A. Silver
                        Silver Performance Gear
                        207.423.5740

                        Smart Textiles + Smart Design = Smart Gear (c)

                      • cjloha
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 20, 2011
                          Rebekah,
                          Please feel free to use my results in your study as well.

                          Thank you

                          Charles Harris

                          --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Joseph" <bjeffreyjoseph@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Rebekah - OK to use a sample of my DNA - will also send some green stuff
                          > to help out with the costs.
                          >

                          > Look forward to hearing any results.
                          >

                          > Kind Regards
                          >

                          > Jeff Joseph

                        • jerry
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 26, 2011
                            i found that i had the q haplotype a few years ago but never tested further after that. i'm full blooded ashkenazi jew, so can i assume that i have the same snp (whatever that is) as you?
                            g.prager

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 27, 2011
                              Rebekah,
                              Happy to contribute my DNA test results to Your research
                              Nikolay Perper