Re: Tracing the Roots of Jewishness - ScienceNOW

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2010
      Robert,

      Thanks for the link to an important article.

      It is good to look over the Behar et al article published the first of 2004 and written in 2003 in the files part of this very website.

      There is also a good Wikipedia article on the Khazars with a discussion of their conversion. There is even a scientific best guess that the yDNA R1a1 Haplotype may have come into Ashkenazim through the Khazars.

      The latest work seems to show that perhaps 11.5% of the DNA among Ashkenazim came from the Khazars.

      Here is a good link -

      http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/abstracts.html

      Dave Howard

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, FSRODEN@... wrote:

      > On a related note:
      >
      > http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100603/full/news.2010.277.html
      >
      > I haven't read the original article in the scholarly journal, but my first reaction is to wonder whether the Italian study comments at all on the Sephardic diaspora after the expulsion from Spain. That would explain some of the similarities, since we know a lot of Sephardim settled in southern Italy and intermarried with the local population.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Fred Roden

    • Rebekah Adele Canada
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2010
        Dave,

        Science. Trace the source of each "scientific" guess back to the last time real data was quoted.

        Sadly, I think that R1a1 has become the victim of a scientific Factoid. They are Levites. There likely have been R1a1 Levites as long as there have been Levites. If you wish to talk Jewish R1a then the guru is A.J. Levin, aj_levin@.... He is a nice guy....

        Now, it is late, and I am going to bed.

        ---
        Regards,
        Rebekah A. Canada
        Volunteer Administrator, Family Tree DNA
        H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
        Q Y-DNA Hg Project, I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, Scandinavian Y-DNA Project
        http://www.google.com/profiles/rebekahthorn
        http://friendfeed.com/rebekahthorn