Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] who knew

  • K E EPHRAIM
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010

      Thanks for the invite.  I live in New Mexico and I have a ball and chain Named Benny & Drew 3 &6.  I don't think I can make it.  My dads results came back Q1 is that the same as Q1B?  I don't really know.  We are awaiting a deep clade test.  Do you know exactly what that is?  What does that tell me?
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
        Hi, Kim, and sorry you can't make it. Q1b is a further refinement of Q1, and thus not exactly the same thing. The deep clade results should provide a more definitive answer.

        As to what deep clade is exactly, the answer is on Family Tree DNA's website, which does not have an easy-to-use search system, so I'll leave it to you or others with more patience than I have. As I understand it, deep clade testing is specific for mutations such as M378. I know that the test narrows down haplotypes and should tell you whether your father is Q1b.

        Barry

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010

          thanks!  I think I saw something for us under the allele for M378!  Just break down for me like I was a 9 year old

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
            Funny that you said that.  even though I am adventurous and like to travel and see the world; I could not imagine moving to another country with different cultures and languages.  I really want to talk to my dead relative and find out their motivation.  In someways it is more frustrating now because I have even more questions.  Life was sooo hard then.  What were their hopes and dreams.  Would they be happy with what we've become?  Would I even like them?  See more questions
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
              KE Ephraim,
              We Q1b's are also called M378. We were called M242 when we were just classified as Q whatevers. I've got in my notes [m242+P36.2+ M 378+] It would be nice if I understood this algebraic--looking formula, too. I have a class on the 13th. Maybe I can find out.
              thanks! I think I saw something for us under the allele for M378! Just break down for me like I was a 9 year old
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                KE Ephraim, I did just that, only it wasn't adventure that motivated me. I moved to Israel in 1980 and stayed until 1985 when I found out my son back in the states was very ill and my daughter in law asked us to return, so we did. I went over as a teacher having taught for many years, retrained to be and English teacher and worked in Safed. I had only had a smattering of Hebrew as a small child, so had to bone up the whole summer before we moved. I can tell you to read my book "Letters From Israel" on amazon.com to find out what it's like in Israel. Learning a new language is not easy if you don't have the natural talent for it like my brother does. He lived in Germany and Holland and just picked it up so easily. That's the hardest part of moving to a new country, I think; communication.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                  thanks. I am a nurse and understand basic genetics, but this is all greek to me. I heard about the human genome project and I thought " This is GREat!!!!!!"
                  We Q1b's are also called M378. We were called M242 when we were just classified as Q whatevers. I've got in my notes [m242+P36.2+ M 378+] It would be nice if I understood this algebraic--looking formula, too. I have a class on the 13th. Maybe I can find out.
                • berrarabbits
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                    New Mexico and Q with the Surname Ephraim! Did you know there was a Miriam bat Ephraim vSara Born in Toledo, Spain, 1437(Jewish).
                    Most New Mexico families are Jewish and don't even know it today.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 11, 2010
                      Hi,

                      Actually, Kim's family is from New York. I have put the first generation in America up on Dave Howard's website.

                      I will be back with you guys shortly. Right now I am "pealing potatoes in the FTDNA kitchen."

                      ---
                      Regards,
                      Rebekah A. Canada
                      Volunteer Administrator, Family Tree DNA
                      H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
                      Q Y-DNA Hg Project, I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, Scandinavian Y-DNA Project
                      http://www.google.com/profiles/rebekahthorn
                      http://friendfeed.com/rebekahthorn

                      On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM, berrarabbits <berrarabbits@...> wrote:

                      New Mexico and Q with the Surname Ephraim! Did you know there was a Miriam bat Ephraim vSara Born in Toledo, Spain, 1437(Jewish).
                      Most New Mexico families are Jewish and don't even know it today.
                    • Jeff Joseph
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 11, 2010
                        How can I get my family's info for Edward Joseph on Dave's site?