Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] who knew

  • K E EPHRAIM
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8, 2010
      the orginal Ephraim that we know for sure his Henry who was born in holland @1790 and was naturlized @ 1833. I am one of his descendants. We have done 37 allele done and will have the deep clade done. I am not sure if I really understand what that means. Rebekkah Canada put us in a study and we got it for free.

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 8, 2010
        KE Ephraim,
        We matched some other Q1b's at the 67 level so well and they had had the deep clade test so as I understand there was no need for me to go any further, at least not right now.  So what am I doing?  I'm having other members of my family tested.  I've got the testing bug, testing men and women of various branches of the family.  Of course that means I'm reading the history of each group as well.  It's a great intellectual hobby and surely keeps one's mind active.
        Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 2:33 PM

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 8, 2010
          What a fantastic and interesting history you have.  You're so lucky to have found someone who can share so much with you.  I don't know why you say unfortunate to have found the Canadian Ephriam, though,  being you need to know what all happened in our history, and we did lose 6 million.  They were lucky to have one person escape.
          Reminds me-my brother lived in Holland and his first son was born there.  He went over to work in the Primate Center as he is a psychologist and set it up or some such thing.  He spoke very good German having been a foreign exchange student and had lived in Germany for a summer.  You don't want to try out your German in Holland.  He did and it wasn't a good idea.
          Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:30 PM

          This is my best guess of how we became Ephraims.  The Ephraims are a very well documented famil from Germany.  They were in Banking and helped finance many wars for the King.  They moved to Holland and did pretty much the same thing.  They became "court Jews".  They gained money and influence.  There is even a book about them( unfortunately in Dutch). It has been documented that many converted to Christianity as the became more assimilated into the Dutch artistocracy.  I assume I am a descendant of one of those.  I have hooked up via Ancestry.com with an Ephraim from the Netherlands.  He said he would sent some info that may help me.  Unfortunately I also hooked up with an Ephraim family from Canada who are still Jewish and they stated that their great-grandfather is the only member of their family to escape the Holocaust.
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8, 2010
            Welcome aboard, Kim!

            We are planning a get-together of Q1b's on or about Mon., July 12, in the LA Live center in downtown Los Angeles. This is in conjunction with the Jewish genealogy convention which some of our DNA matches will be attending.

            I can't tell from your email where you live and how free you are to travel. But if you're interested, please let me know. We'll compare family histories and eat, drink and make merry. I'll try to keep the costs down.

            Barry Zwick in Los Angeles

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010
              I said unfortunate because it is sad and dishearting.  But for the grace of God there goes I.
              Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:30 PM

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010

                Thanks for the invite.  I live in New Mexico and I have a ball and chain Named Benny & Drew 3 &6.  I don't think I can make it.  My dads results came back Q1 is that the same as Q1B?  I don't really know.  We are awaiting a deep clade test.  Do you know exactly what that is?  What does that tell me?

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010
                  Yes, it is.  Right.  It could have happened to us all if our ancestors hadn't had some reason to want to move. Nadene
                  Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:30 PM

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                    Hi, Kim, and sorry you can't make it. Q1b is a further refinement of Q1, and thus not exactly the same thing. The deep clade results should provide a more definitive answer.

                    As to what deep clade is exactly, the answer is on Family Tree DNA's website, which does not have an easy-to-use search system, so I'll leave it to you or others with more patience than I have. As I understand it, deep clade testing is specific for mutations such as M378. I know that the test narrows down haplotypes and should tell you whether your father is Q1b.

                    Barry

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010

                      thanks!  I think I saw something for us under the allele for M378!  Just break down for me like I was a 9 year old

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                        Funny that you said that.  even though I am adventurous and like to travel and see the world; I could not imagine moving to another country with different cultures and languages.  I really want to talk to my dead relative and find out their motivation.  In someways it is more frustrating now because I have even more questions.  Life was sooo hard then.  What were their hopes and dreams.  Would they be happy with what we've become?  Would I even like them?  See more questions
                        Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:30 PM

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                          KE Ephraim,
                          We Q1b's are also called M378. We were called M242 when we were just classified as Q whatevers. I've got in my notes [m242+P36.2+ M 378+] It would be nice if I understood this algebraic--looking formula, too. I have a class on the 13th. Maybe I can find out.
                          thanks! I think I saw something for us under the allele for M378! Just break down for me like I was a 9 year old
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                            KE Ephraim, I did just that, only it wasn't adventure that motivated me. I moved to Israel in 1980 and stayed until 1985 when I found out my son back in the states was very ill and my daughter in law asked us to return, so we did. I went over as a teacher having taught for many years, retrained to be and English teacher and worked in Safed. I had only had a smattering of Hebrew as a small child, so had to bone up the whole summer before we moved. I can tell you to read my book "Letters From Israel" on amazon.com to find out what it's like in Israel. Learning a new language is not easy if you don't have the natural talent for it like my brother does. He lived in Germany and Holland and just picked it up so easily. That's the hardest part of moving to a new country, I think; communication.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                              thanks. I am a nurse and understand basic genetics, but this is all greek to me. I heard about the human genome project and I thought " This is GREat!!!!!!"
                              We Q1b's are also called M378. We were called M242 when we were just classified as Q whatevers. I've got in my notes [m242+P36.2+ M 378+] It would be nice if I understood this algebraic--looking formula, too. I have a class on the 13th. Maybe I can find out.
                            • berrarabbits
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                                New Mexico and Q with the Surname Ephraim! Did you know there was a Miriam bat Ephraim vSara Born in Toledo, Spain, 1437(Jewish).
                                Most New Mexico families are Jewish and don't even know it today.

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 11, 2010
                                  Hi,

                                  Actually, Kim's family is from New York. I have put the first generation in America up on Dave Howard's website.

                                  I will be back with you guys shortly. Right now I am "pealing potatoes in the FTDNA kitchen."

                                  ---
                                  Regards,
                                  Rebekah A. Canada
                                  Volunteer Administrator, Family Tree DNA
                                  H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
                                  Q Y-DNA Hg Project, I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, Scandinavian Y-DNA Project
                                  http://www.google.com/profiles/rebekahthorn
                                  http://friendfeed.com/rebekahthorn

                                  On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM, berrarabbits <berrarabbits@...> wrote:

                                  New Mexico and Q with the Surname Ephraim! Did you know there was a Miriam bat Ephraim vSara Born in Toledo, Spain, 1437(Jewish).
                                  Most New Mexico families are Jewish and don't even know it today.
                                • Jeff Joseph
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 11, 2010
                                    How can I get my family's info for Edward Joseph on Dave's site?