New member

  • lyoung@ameritech.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2010
      Hi Cousins:

      My name is Laurence Young, nickname Larry, and I've been tested at ftdna as a Q M242 and since I closely match many of you e.g. a genetic distance of 4 at the 67 marker level for one of you, I signed up for the deep clade test as well with the result expected in late April. I have sent my family details to Barry Zwick and he has already assisted me in solving an issue. Thanks Barry.

      Barry asked me why I took the dna test and one of the reasons may surprise many of you, I have shovel-shaped incisors. As you may or may not know shovel-shaped incisors are found in Native Americans and Siberian tribes, not in Europeans. Any dentists or anthropologists in the group please respond if I'm wrong. I took the test because I've been searching for a Native American in my mother's tree and her family is Scots, Scotch-Irish and English and some branches have been in North America since the late 1600's. I was stunned to find out I was a Q M242 and matched many of you and that I'm probably an M378 (Q1b) as well. My dental hygienist, who is part Cherokee, still thinks I'm part Cherokee too.

      I'd like to know how many of you also have shovel-shaped incisors? It could add another step in the proof of our Siberian/Mongolian heritage. If none of you have them then I'd better continue the hunt for the Native American.

      Lastly, I have been visiting this web site reading all the postings and I'm about a third of the way through them, (do you know how long it takes to go through 1200 messages) so it is about time I joined.

      Larry Young
    • bjmva
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 28, 2010
        Welcome Larry! I handle my brother's account, Billy Marlow. He is a Q1b.  BJ Marlow

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2010
          Hi Larry:

          Fascinating information, but one clarification. The shape of your teeth or any other apparent feature is a result of your autosomal chromosomes and not of your Y-DNA. In other words, your teeth are shaped as they are because you are of Native American or Siberian tribes and not because you are of Haplogroup Q. Too bad ... think of all the money we could save on genetic testing if all we had to do was to look at our teeth! ;-)

          So, what more can you tell us about "shovel-shaped incisors" and how we can discern them from other teeth? I would be interested in surreptitiously looking at my son-in-law's or grandson's teeth, but it would help to know what to look for ... and how to do it discretely. I'll let you know if they have "shovel-shaped incisors".
          Regards,

          Peter

          P.S. Yes, I'm of Haplogroup G and our daughter married a Q.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2010
            Peter:

            Thank you for your information. I thought it would be too easy if we all had shovel-shaped incisors. Check the back of the four front upper teeth, and if there are indentations, i.e. shovel-shaped, they actually look like a shovel, then you have them. The best way to look is with a mirror and light, or feel with a finger, the tongue will also feel the indentation. I can upload a photograph if needed. As I mentioned Europeans and their ofspring will not have them. Mendel's Law applies and I'd better continue my search in my mother's family for a Native American.

            Larry

            --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "Peter T. Christy" <haplogroup_g@...> wrote:

            > Hi Larry:
            >
            > Fascinating information, but one clarification. The shape of your teeth or any other apparent feature is a result of your autosomal chromosomes and not of your Y-DNA. In other words, your teeth are shaped as they are because you are of Native American or Siberian tribes and not because you are of Haplogroup Q. Too bad ... think of all the money we could save on genetic testing if all we had to do was to look at our teeth! ;-)
            >
            > So, what more can you tell us about "shovel-shaped incisors" and how we can discern them from other teeth? I would be interested in surreptitiously looking at my son-in-law's or grandson's teeth, but it would help to know what to look for ... and how to do it discretely. I'll let you know if they have "shovel-shaped incisors".
            > Regards,
            >
            > Peter
            >

            > P.S. Yes, I'm of Haplogroup G and our daughter married a Q.
            >

            > On Mar 28, 2010, at 6:19 PM, lyoung@... wrote:
            >
            > > Hi Cousins:
            > >
            > > My name is Laurence Young, nickname Larry, and I've been tested at ftdna as a Q M242 and since I closely match many of you e.g. a genetic distance of 4 at the 67 marker level for one of you, I signed up for the deep clade test as well with the result expected in late April. I have sent my family details to Barry Zwick and he has already assisted me in solving an issue. Thanks Barry.
            > >
            > > Barry asked me why I took the dna test and one of the reasons may surprise many of you, I have shovel-shaped incisors. As you may or may not know shovel-shaped incisors are found in Native Americans and Siberian tribes, not in Europeans. Any dentists or anthropologists in the group please respond if I'm wrong. I took the test because I've been searching for a Native American in my mother's tree and her family is Scots, Scotch-Irish and English and some branches have been in North America since the late 1600's. I was stunned to find out I was a Q M242 and matched many of you and that I'm probably an M378 (Q1b) as well. My dental hygienist, who is part Cherokee, still thinks I'm part Cherokee too.
            > >
            > > I'd like to know how many of you also have shovel-shaped incisors? It could add another step in the proof of our Siberian/Mongolian heritage. If none of you have them then I'd better continue the hunt for the Native American.
            > >
            > > Lastly, I have been visiting this web site reading all the postings and I'm about a third of the way through them, (do you know how long it takes to go through 1200 messages) so it is about time I joined.
            > >
            > > Larry Young

          • Rebekah Adele Canada
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2010
              Hi Larry,

              Welcome to our little group. If you match with members here then your
              father's line likely contains some Jewish ancestry even if it is way
              back there.

              If you are looking for Native American heritage then you can cross
              your paternal grandfather out and look at your other three
              grandparents.

              ---
              Regards,
              Rebekah A. Canada
              Volunteer Administrator, Family Tree DNA
              H & HV mtDNA Hg Project
              Q Y-DNA Hg Project, I-P109 Y-DNA Hg Project, Scandinavian Y-DNA Project
              http://www.google.com/profiles/rebekahthorn
              http://friendfeed.com/rebekahthorn
            • Jim Porter
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 29, 2010
                Rebekah,

                Just to let you know I just went a head and ordered the new "family finder" and will let everyone know when I get the results. Do you happen to know how long it will normally take?

                Happy Passover to all!

                Shalom

                Jim

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2 11:46 AM
                  Hi Laurence,
                  Welcome to the Q1b's.  At 67 markers, which is what my brother has been tested with, we have been defined as M378 or Q1b.  You do have an interesting background.  I hope your deep clade test will give you more important information.  It would be great if you are part Cherokee.  That's such a great tribe with an amazing history.  But if you're a Q1b,  I believe that is a much later group or different branch of Q's. .  Native Americans are Q3 or Q4, as I remember.  Maybe that group would be on your mother's side.  Isn't it possible that with settlers from the 1600' s on  they could have intermarried with women here?  It happened to us in our Jewish history all the time.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2 2:00 PM
                    Hi Nadene:

                    Please call me Larry. Laurence is too formal and it is also a surname on my mother's side, an old anglo-saxon custom. Last night's e-mail contained a message from ftdna with the deep clade results, I am a Q1b. I have the M242, P36.2, and M378 mutations. My mother's haplogroup is H. Thus I have shovel-shaped incisors because: a, my father's ancestry is from a nomadic Siberian/Mongolian tribe; b, my mother has a Native American in her line; c, both a and b, Mendel's Law applies; or d, I was looking through a fetal parts catalog while in the womb and liked the shape of the teeth. Anyway, it will be interesting to see if any of my new found cousins have shovel-shaped incisors. So far I have not found any within the group of my mother's family.

                    Larry

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2 3:12 PM
                      Hi Larry,

                      My mother was also an H. I believe that almost half of the European women are H. My mother's mother was from a little town in northern Sweden called Lumsheden. Her family had been there for centuries. It turned out that my mother's brother married a lady who was also an H, and her famiy were from Germany or Austria. My Swedish grandmother married a Yankee born in Vermont whose family could have been here since the Mayflower, since the oral tradition is that they came over on the ship after that one. He was a Robinson, and I've hit a brick wall trying to go past the great grandfather. Vermont was loaded with Robinsons with different haplogroups.

                      So you're the same as my father's line. We happen to be Jewish. I figure that my grandfather came from Lithuania since another Goldfoot family who kept better records came from there. Q1b's make up about 5% of the Jewish population.