      From: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com [mailto: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of adam_bratter
      Sent: Friday, October 02, 2009 9:00 AM
      To: Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Origin

      Rebecca

      I understand you are involved in genetic research.
      However national geographic has this information regarding the Q Haplogroup arising 15 to 20 thousand years ago in Siberia .

      https://genographic .nationalgeograp hic.com/genograp hic/atlas. html?card= my045

      I see the migration map on FTDNA, basically our ancestry was split from P and F before that.

      Ultimately all people can state they have the same ancestry - if you go back far enough. To me, the idea of knowing where to have a demarcation regarding difference between groups of people is denoted at a minimum by the Haplogroup for the Y DNA. Otherwise why bother with finding any of this out?

      Again, the migration might be interesting, but in my opinion, the genetic understanding of the Haplogroup Q, and ultimately the subclade that I belong to is of the most interest, as it will give the most specific details of how I differ genetically from others.

      If I were to study a particular animal, it would give me a good background to know it's origins and migration. However the most important aspect would be understanding its current DNA and the most recent changes that lead to this variation. This might explain the animals attributes, and features, and why it differs from a similiar genus.

      Pretend I am examining a poodle. For someone to say, "Well the migration of poodles goes back to all canidae including relations to foxes, wolves, coyotes and jackals..." is not very useful in figuring out that poodle! I want to know how it compares to other other poodles and dogs of that breed.

      Anyway, all of your efforts and information is valued and appreciated.

      Thanks,

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@ yahoogroups. com, Rebekah Canada <rebekahthorn@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi Adam,
      >
      > Q does not have its origins in Siberia .
      :-) To see a migration map or Q you
      > may login to your FTDNA account. On the left look for the Haplotree link.
      > Once the Haplotree loads look at the top for the orange migration map
      > button. Click that. Each node is click able with additional information.
      >
      > Q and its brother clade R both arose in Central Asia
      from their parent
      > haplogroup P. It is likely that both had branches that back migrated into
      > the middle east.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Rebekah
      >
      > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM, adam_bratter <adam_bratter@ ...>wrote:
      >
      > > Dear Alfred and fellow board members

      > > One thing me and my father have decided is that our paternal ancestry
      > > probably does not go back to the middle east as the Y Haplogroup Q
      started
      > > in Siberia - so years of thinking we
      were Jews in terms of having origins
      > > back to the ancient state of