1700Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Perfect Match?

  • A Silver
    Dec 31, 2012
      Gentlemen,

      Thanks for the information.  I think it's amazing that Andrew found a perfect match at the 67 marker level (0 steps) test. As was Dave's experience, my brother tested to 37 markers and we only matched 2-3 people.  Rebecca advised us not to do the 67 marker.  We haven't gone the 23andME route yet.

      Andrew, since you have no information about your father's family, I would approach research the old-fashion way - starting with what you do know. If your Mother or the parents who raised you are still alive they would obviously be a great resource. However, in the event they are not, your own birth certificate is a good starting point. The birth certificate will give you a location (state and city) where a transaction occurred. Your parents or guardian would have to have shown some type of proof of your origin in order to obtain a replacement birth certificate. If it was in the U.S., chances are good that they still have the information on file.

      The National Archives offers genealogy workshops nationwide. You can find their schedule online http://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/events/
      I took a class on using the census and it proved to be most helpful.  For example, I found out the name of the town in the Ukraine that my grandmother's family originated in the 1920's census. Granted, it might be a long shot, but you may be able to find out your origin too.

      Good luck on your search.

      Amy Silver
      aka Sans-y

      On Dec 31, 2012, at 9:21 AM, rlkushner@... wrote:

      Thanks for the information.  I came to the same conclusion, but you put it together in a  more logical easy to understand manner.

      I miss Barry Zwick.  Barry was a great asset to the Site. I was shocked when he died.  I had no idea he suffered from diabetes. Dave, you always have made important contributions as well.

      bob kushner