1698Re: Perfect Match?

  • Dave
    Dec 30, 2012
      David,

      I am the group administrator for the Jewish-Q group at Family Tree DNA.

      I would say this. If your nearest match is at a genetic distance of 1 you will not find more matches at all if you have more markers tested. You will be wasting your money unless you want to put a feather in the cap of Rebecca for getting more people to spend money.

      Here is why - If at 12 markers you had 50 exact matches your closest relative could have been hundreds of years ago. You need to have more markers tested to see how many of the 50 are close relatives. If you go to 37 markers and have 5 exact matches you should be able to exchange information with those 5 and see if you can connect.

      When they check more of your markers against others you are going to have fewer and fewer exact matches.

      I had 3 exact matches at 37 and we could not connect. We all went to 67 markers and now I have no exact matches. -- If I go to 111 markers I would be completely wasting my money if I am trying to find a relative. I already have no exact matches. I am like you.

      I think you would get a bigger bang for your buck by joining the Family Finder at Family Tree DNA.

      The family finder is disappointing because if you have an Ashkenazi Jewish background you will find out our parents and grandparents were all cousins.

      My closest match in the family finder at Family Tree DNA is Max Blankfield the #2 guy at Family Tree DNA and we cannot link up hardly at all. He has relatives from Latvia and I have relatives from Latvia.

      You might just want to stop for a while at Family Tree DNA and go to 23andME.com They really give you a tremendous bargain for $99. You get your yDNA, your mtDNA, their Relative Finder, plus health information. They charge a monthly fee but it is pennies compared to how much Family Tree DNA costs. They have a large Jewish database.

      I hope this is useful information.

      Dave Howard

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "davepelter" <pelter@...> wrote:

      > Andrew,
      >
      > Hi and greetings from Seattle. Coincidentally, I recently asked Rebekah Canada, who manages both a Jewish Q project for FTDNA as well as a Facebook group called Q yDNA Haplogroup Project, to analyze my father's Y-DNA profile. My father's name is Stanley Pelter and his kit # at FTDNA is 240219. The interesting thing is that Rebekah specifically referenced kit # 247540, which I believe is your kit, as one that appears very closely related. I've pasted the text below from the Facebook board which is Rebekah's response:
      >
      > "Y-DNA37: Your matches have dropped off sharply. Your closest match is a genetic distance of one away to kit 247540. Unfortunately, he does not have Y-DNA67 results. Y-DNA67: Ah, you do not have Y-DNA67 results either. I think that if you can convince the owner of kit 247540 to also upgrade, it would be worth it."
      >
      > So, it appears that we might be closely related, assuming you are the kit mentioned above. I have gone ahead and upgraded to the Y-DNA67 test; it that something you have done yet?
      >
      > Kind Regards,
      > Dave Pelter
      >

      > --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "andrew.ackerman@" <andrew.ackerman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I am new to this group and I was not raised Jewish. My Y-DNA was Haplogroup Q, M242, and on a 67 marker test, I am a perfect match to another member of this group. I know nothing about my paternal ancestry, so I can't use surnames to trace my lineage. But since I am a perfect match (0 step)... where is it logical to look in the generations for a common ancestor?
      > > The person I match with is the same age as I am and we live far away from one another. Since Y-DNA is between father and son....would that mean that a brother would also share that same link? For example, if he knows his paternal line back to his grandfather...and his grandfather had 2 brothers...wouldn't all 3 of them share the same Y-DNA? And if all three of the brothers shared the same Y-DNA, then wouldn't all their sons share it also? But eventually, as we went back in time, we would meet at a common great+ grandfather at some point. Am I thinking straight on this?
      > > Are there any educated guesses how many generations back a perfect match at 67 markers might be? I was extremely lucky to find a perfect match, especially since I know nothing about my father or his family. Any help or guidance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly advanced at research, but I have never specifically researched Jewish heritage.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic