      Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2012 4:48 PM
      Subject: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Perfect Match?

      Andrew,

      Hi and greetings from Seattle. Coincidentally, I recently asked Rebekah Canada, who manages both a Jewish Q project for FTDNA as well as a Facebook group called Q yDNA Haplogroup Project, to analyze my father's Y-DNA profile. My father's name is Stanley Pelter and his kit # at FTDNA is 240219. The interesting thing is that Rebekah specifically referenced kit # 247540, which I believe is your kit, as one that appears very closely related. I've pasted the text below from the Facebook board which is Rebekah's response:

      "Y-DNA37: Your matches have dropped off sharply. Your closest match is a genetic distance of one away to kit 247540. Unfortunately, he does not have Y-DNA67 results. Y-DNA67: Ah, you do not have Y-DNA67 results either. I think that if you can convince the owner of kit 247540 to also upgrade, it would be worth it."

      So, it appears that we might be closely related, assuming you are the kit mentioned above. I have gone ahead and upgraded to the Y-DNA67 test; it that something you have done yet?

      Kind Regards,
      Dave Pelter

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "andrew.ackerman@..." <andrew.ackerman@...> wrote:

      > I am new to this group and I was not raised Jewish. My Y-DNA was Haplogroup Q, M242, and on a 67 marker test, I am a perfect match to another member of this group. I know nothing about my paternal ancestry, so I can't use surnames to trace my lineage. But since I am a perfect match (0 step)... where is it logical to look in the generations for a common ancestor?
      > The person I match with is the same age as I am and we live far away from one another. Since Y-DNA is between father and son....would that mean that a brother would also share that same link? For example, if he knows his paternal line back to his grandfather...and his grandfather had 2 brothers...wouldn't all 3 of them share the same Y-DNA? And if all three of the brothers shared the same Y-DNA, then wouldn't all their sons share it also? But eventually, as we went back in time, we would meet at a common great+ grandfather at some point. Am I thinking straight on this?
      > Are there any educated guesses how many generations back a perfect match at 67 markers might be? I was extremely lucky to find a perfect match, especially since I know nothing about my father or his family. Any help or guidance that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am fairly advanced at research, but I have never specifically researched Jewish heritage.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic