1649Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] My mysterious lineage

  • James Von Schilling
    Jan 16, 2012
      Thanks, Nadene, for all your good advice. Maybe my next step is to go for the 67 DNA test -- I just looked at the price list at Family Tree.

      The catch with looking into the various listings of people named Von Schilling and Schilling is that I just don't know if my father had that name (either one) at birth or where his ancestors lived. But I did just register with the JewishGen website and started to explore the lists.

      Jim

      >>> "NADENE GOLDFOOT" 01/14/12 5:08 PM >>>
      Jim,
      My thoughts are: Go to the JewishGen website, http://www.jewishgen.org/, put in Germany for starterrs in the country, and you will see tons of information come up for Von Schilling. You can explore using your own facts of your genealogy. It'll take months to use all the available searches on this one free website.

      Also, use the paid website of http://ancestry.com and use your name, Von Schilling, and see what there is. I just did and found a family in Brooklyn with the father from Belgium. There are tons and tons of Von Schillings listed there. You know that it will list the head of the family, and then tells what country the father was from and the mother of that head. That's another clue. You can also look for what language the spoke. It would be interesting to see if it was Hebrew or Yiddish. I saw a person that was listing as Schilling. It's possible that the original name was that, and that Von was added later. Anyway, see how far you can go with your Von Schilling surname till it goes into Europe and you can't search unless you go for the world option which is a little more expensive. That is great if you're doing an English/Welsh, Irish, Scottish search, but not so good on other countires. That's where JewishGen really comes in. It's amazing.
      I actually found my Nathan Goldfus (first name was in Yiddish as Nokhum Goldfus) and I almost missed it as I was still thinking "Nathan". in Telsiai, Lithuania. My hint was that I have run across two other serious Goldfus researchers who also found their Goldfus person in Telsiai. That seemed to be the only place I have found Goldfus-in Lithuania.

      The change may be when your ancestor had to go from example: Abraham, son of Nathan to Abraham Von Schilling. I've run across Jews coming to the USA who changed their (new) surnames to another one-like one person who used the name of his sponsor out of gratitude, or some such reason as evading the Russian draft.

      If you have had the whole 67 allele dna test, you might go for the next test of your genes where you find people with segments of your genes. I had that done at 23&me because I got a sale price at the time, and you can see the countries their ancestors came from who are a match to you. It can give you more insight.