1642Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] My mysterious lineage

  • James Von Schilling
    Jan 14, 2012
      Hi Nadene,

      Thanks for the info and also for the offer to help. The problem with doing the genealogy search is that I don't think the last name my father used was his original last name. There are people who are familiar with the background of the "Von Schilling" family, and we've had a little contact in the past. It just seems that their story is entirely different from the story my father told and that there's no place in their family history where my father seemed to fit in.

      I've done some searching of census records, although maybe not as much as I could. Again, the problem is that I don't really know what last name my father had when he was growing up.

      Jim

      >>> "NADENE GOLDFOOT" 01/13/12 1:02 PM >>>
      Hi Jim,
      I just checked our alleles and my brother has the same results that you do on 439 and 385a. Our surname is Goldfoot, which is anglicized from Goldfus in Yiddish, Goldfuss in German. Jews were in Germany and from there branched out into Eastern Europe. ours went to Telsiai, Lithuania. After doing the 67 allele test and a few others we are listed as Q1b1 and are Ashkenazi Jewish. There are many surnames that are German and also Jewish with no connection between the two groups. This is true of Goldfoot. There is another group that are of a completely different haplogroup. Jews had to buy names eventually when the countries wanted taxes from the people, and were given a list to choose from, usually.

      Luckily, my father and his mother and siblings were alive and we lived in the same city that he was born in. I've had to do a lot of searching to find the origins were Telsiai. The only hint I had was the 1910 census in that his father came from "Russia." My grandfather died in an accident in 1912. Have you done a genealogy search and check the census records carefully? If you need help in this, my email is goldfoot1@.... I'd be willing to help look for you if you contact me right away before my subsc to ancestry stops.