1562Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] For Those Paying for Upgrades - Good Return on Your Investment?

    Aug 19, 2011
      Hi Dave,
      Which Dave are you?  I know of two.
      For those of you who are paying to have more and more yDNA tests do you feel you are getting anything of value in return?  Barry Zwick kept in close contact with us as to who was a Q1b, background, etc and anything new about what has been discovered about our group, but he has since passed away and no one has stepped up to the plate like he was doing.  I valued his connection with us.
      He wasn't a geneticist but  kept in contact with very interesting findings.

      What value are you getting? I know we're an exceedingly small group; Jews make up only less than 1% of the world population and we Q1b Jews are only 5% of that 1% so I think I've found the only other close relative already.  What I want to get is more information about us and hopefully how far back our common ancestor goes and where he was.  I want history of our family origins.

      Have you found relatives?  I was checking on a person who also had our surname and so had both my brother and the other person tested with the 25 allele test.  We were connected.  I've gone up to 67 alleles and a STR test to find that we remain at a distance of 3.  Since then I've worked more on our genealogy and have come to the conclusion that we are 3rd cousins.  I did not have the other person tested with the STR test.  There is no other person so far that is this close to us.

      Has the additional testing helped your genealogy?  As I stated above, it has in establishing a connection with this other close party.It has told me only that in shorthand, we are classified as  Q1b1 or  P36+2 + M378+ L245+.  Being we have only had a distance of 3 with the other party tested, I figure he would fall under the same classification as well.  No, it hasn't told me anymore information other than this is a narrower group that we beong to.  Who this narrower group is has not been defined.

      Do you have a sense you are just wasting your money and learning nothing really useful? I'd love to know just where we originated from; Khazaria, or where.  I hoped that the testing would help.  The STR test hasn't told me anything more other than now we are definitely Q1b1 classification.  Knowing our origins would tell me so much more about our family's history.  We are different from J1 or J2's origins.

      Do you feel you are contributing to valuable research? Yes, if anything, I think our tests are contributing to research.

      I have become skeptical of the value of the additional tests that Rebekah keeps encouraging. I just hope the information is being shared and used by some great historians.  You have to have an excellent  background of our Jewish history to put all this to good use, I feel.  It's certainly made me delve into our history in trying to solve our mystery of our origins.  I keep a blog as suggested by Jewish genealogists of my findings of history of Jews as well as of who is a Goldfoot/fus/;fuss at http://goldfoot_genealogy.blogspot.com  Bennett Greenspan is coming to speak to our Jewish Genealogical Society of Oregon on the 18th of September.  We are sending in questions beforehand.  I sure have questions for him.

      I am interested in your comments.  A long time ago I thought we knew that we were from Khazaria which seemed to fit into the area of or origins but this has been pooh-poohed so much.  I am on the group of Ashina Royal Dynasty with Alfred Krupa.  That would have made us all part of the Royal Family of Khazaria which was quite interesting.  But then I found out that others didn't agree.  I've searched myself and really can't come up with anything better.  In fact, I just orded my 3rd book on Khazarian Jews written by a Rabbi a long time ago and it should come any day.  We're supposed to have come from the area of the Atlai Mountains which are in parts of Turkey, Siberia and Mongolia. Well, Turkey today is very close to Israel.   My grandfather came from Lithuania and Russia was on his 1910 census.  I guess we just need to know more about  other Jewish onclaves in that area  It's a mystery.  I just hope I live long enough to learn some facts.

      I have since taken the dna test offered by 23&Me out of  Los Angeles.  As a woman, it can test my whole genome and this test also included all the medical history about what my dna can come with.  It was on  a sale-bargain price of about $100, though I keep paying $5 every month for a year on it.  I have had over 1,000 matches on some part of my genome of 23 chromosomes.  We Jews get more matches than anyone.  I keep getting updates on what I could have as a physical problem, and I've particpated in two research projects.   Go figure.  I haven't been able to match anyone as our knowledge of relatives can't go back very far.  But it is intersting to know that so many Jews (and only one was a Q, match me a little and all on my father's side (Jewish).  One other of our group took this test with this company and we two match with just a few chromosomes.  It's interesting.

      Nadene Goldfoot, sister of David Goldfoot, Phd and 3rd cousin of Ian Goldfoot, Administrator of surname: Goldfoot =Q1b1 or Q-L245