      From: goldfootn
      Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:54 PM
      Subject: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Digest Number 281

      Hi Lois,
      There are three types of Jewish divisions; Ashkenazi, Sephardi and the Mizrachi which are Jewish people from North Africa and the Middle East.
      http://www.jewfaq.org/ashkseph.htm. Was your father Q1b? I know that Sephardi were the first to come to the USA. I believe the synagogue in Rhode Island was the first to be built. That would have been after 1620, no doubt.
      Nadene Goldfoot

      --- In Ashkenazi-Q@yahoogroups.com, "lois harford" <lolonurse@...> wrote:

      > Ashkenazi Jewish - yDNA Haplogroup Q1bHi - I hope I'm doing this correctly. I subscribed a while ago, after having my dad tested as part of my research of our family tree, and he turned out to be haplogroup Q. But I haven't been able to participate, or even devote much attention, much to my chagrin. Anyway, for whatever reason, I clicked on tonight, and see that there is much progress in the typing - and I wonder if you still need people to volunteer samples for this newer typing? My dad would be happy to do this, and since he will be 87 in June, and is the only male left in the family, and the only Q, I guess it would be a good idea.
      >
      > Oh - and by the way, his family (Romanian, but in the New World, anecdotally, since late 1500's or early 1600's) always said they were neither Ashkenazi nor Sephardic, but "something else...
      > Thanks for any guidance -
      > Lois Harford (nee Greenberg)

      http://www.eset.com
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic