1521Re: Digest Number 281

  • zkynyc
    Apr 26 9:37 PM
      Hi Lori--

      I'm really fascinated by your story; there are many Jewish rites, but the main ones are Ashkenazi, Sephardi and the various Mizrachi traditions.

      On the other hand, it sounds like perhaps you might be talking about the Romaniote tradition of the Greek Jews? We'd need to find out a little more about the specifics, like which traditional melodies (niggunim) he remembers, the language spoken by the rabbis of his synagogue(s), or traditional first names. Then we might be able to help place exactly what he means by "something else!"

      If he tested Q1a, that would mean he'd most likely be talking about Yemeni traditions. If he's Q1b, I wonder if maybe he's talking about the various Turkic traditions like the Krymchak or possibly even Karaites, in which case he would have no family tradition of Talmudic study or follow the 'Shulkhan Arukh Kitzur' that defines the Ashkenazi traditions to which most of us belong. If so, that would be a major discovery for the group in terms of placing our origins!

      --D. J.