1146Re: Haplogroup Prediction at FTDNA was Re: [Ashkenazi-Q] Re: Anyone from India / Asia

    Dec 2, 2009
      Hello,

      The current haplogroup prediction program at FTDNA is very cautious. First it is based on 14 marker haplotypes. That is the 12 STR markers from the first panel and 2 others that they always test with the first panel and use as checks to detect sample errors with subsequent upgrades.

      They compare your results to those who match you or are off by one or two values. They use all tested values including backbone haplogroup test results and those from the old deep clade test. For many haplotypes then the resulting dataset will be some people who are tested up to Q, some who are tested up to Q1, and some who are tested up to Q1b. When there are the three different tested haplogroup placements the system cautiously predicts that untested samples are Q. If everyone with that haplotype who had ever tested Q or Q1 were to order the new deep clade test then future people would be predicted as Q1b.

      I personally do not think that having that prediction for some people is worth all of the others ordering a $49 - $79 US test.

      When we have interesting subclades of Q1b perhaps I will think differently.

      Best,
      Rebekah

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:39 AM, KRUPA <mladen.krupa@ka.t-com.hr> wrote:
      Can anyone solve this mystery;
      - FTDNA system shows Q1b as predicted haplogroup option (Ahmed
      family as example), but not in our case - Ashkenazi Q1b, we are
      always just Q, until confirmed by the deep clade test
      Financial motivation or something else?

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic