101Use of Y Chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA Population Structure in Tracing Human Migrations

    Dec 14, 2007
      Use of Y Chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA Population Structure in
      Tracing Human Migrations
      Peter A. Underhill1 and Toomas Kivisild2
      1Department of Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford,
      California 94305-5120; email: under@...
      2Leverhulme Center of Human Evolutionary Studies, University of Cambridge,
      Cambridge CB2 1QH, United Kingdom; email: tk331@...

      Abstract
      Well-resolved molecular gene trees illustrate the concept of descent
      with modification and exhibit the opposing processes of drift and
      migration, both of which influence population structure. Phylogenies
      of the maternally inherited mtDNA genome and the paternally
      inherited portion of the nonrecombining Y chromosome retain sequential
      records of the accumulation of genetic diversity. Although
      knowledge regarding the diversity of the entire human genome will
      be needed to completely characterize human genetic evolution, these
      uniparentally inherited loci are unique indicators of gender in modulating
      the extant population structure. We compare and contrast
      these loci for patterns of continuity and discreteness and discuss how
      their phylogenetic diversity and progression provide means to disentangle
      ancient colonization events by pioneering migrants from
      subsequent overlying migrations. We introduce new results concerning
      Y chromosome founder haplogroups C, DE, and F that
      resolve their previous trifurcation and improve the harmony with
      the mtDNA recapitulation of the out-of-Africa migration.

      ISOGG Resource Coordinator
      Volunteer Administrator: H mtDNA Project; Q yDNA Project; Scandinavian
      yDNA Project
      Co-Administrator: I1a yDNA Project
      "dedique cor meum ut scirem prudentiam atque doctrinam erroresque et
      stultitiam et agnovi quod in his quoque esset labor et adflictio
      spiritus"
      Ecc 1:17