Michaelmas

  • elizabeth_m_gilbert
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2009
      Thank you Kate and everyone else who put together the great Michaelmas festival on Saturday. The apple cider was yummy, the crafts were fun, and the puppet show was enchanting! And there was so much great food at the potluck, too! Even with the rain it was lots of fun and great to see everyone.

      I wanted to especially thank Grow With Me for hosting the event. It is always nice to gather in the wonderful space you have created at Groce Methodist.

      Looking forward to our next festival together!

      Blessings,

      Elizabeth

      PS- We also had a really great Adult Michaelmas gathering on Tuesday. Thank you Michael for creating a wonderful evening and helping us to delve more deeply into the festival's meaning!
    • waterfall@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 27, 2010

        Michelmas 2010 will be Saturday, Sept. 25 at 4 pm at Lutheridge, just south of Asheville.  Time and Date for planning session at Lutheridge will be posted soon.

        Thanks to Scott and Joanie Lamb who live at Lutheridge for arranging this great location with Nature, covered paviliion with picnic tables.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16, 2010
          Good morning to my "new and old friends" of the Waldorf Community,
          Let me briefly introduce myself.  I am co-teaching the Azalea Mountain Parent Child class, which begins tomorrow, being held at Dandelion Hill through Rae's kindness.  I am also serving with those planning our Community Michaelmas Festival.  As the happy Grandmother of a three year old, the Mother of four grown children (all of whom attended Waldorf schools at some time), the former Mother in residence of twenty seven children in a Waldorf based orphanage in Guatemala, I am to be Mother Earth at the Festival!  You will recognize me there, as I shall be dressed in a brown cloak calling and singing to the "little buttercups" to "come home" under my cloak, as they bury there wee heads in the dark earth (until spring...sooner, when they wish to return to their Mommies and Daddies).

          I shall also be leading the Community at the Festival in a Singing Game, which I would like to share with all of you, so that you will already be familiar with the words and movements.  As the Community is gathering together for the first time this Fall, we will be singing "Make New Friends, and Keep the Old," after we have gathered in the circle. It shall happily be a big circle, so we shall gather our littlest ones into our arms, and spread the circle wide. At the center of the circle there will be "a gentle dragon," composed of four gentle dancers, each with a colored silk held over his/her head (one of red, orange, yellow and gold) gently dancing and prancing in dragon formation.

          Then we start our singing game:

          Step, step, step to the Left,  (Slowly step to the left 3 steps)
          Step, step, step to the Right,  (Slowly step to the right 3 steps)
          Step, step, step to the Left,    (Slowly step to the left 3 steps)
          We will tame the dragon. (Slowly...as there will be many of us....with joined hands and arms raised upward, walk with slow determination toward the gently dancing dragon)
          Repeat the last line of the song until the dragon is tamed.  (Once we have walked as far forward that we are still comfortably next to each other, our lowered arms and hands shall, with great courage and will, lower to tame the dragon...the dragon will ultimately lie on the ground gently tamed).

          I am in need of a great brown cloak under which many buttercups will fit, and also two silks of bright orange and red.

          Further, I need four volunteers, who are actors/dancers by nature, to be part of the dragon.

          If anyone owns one of the items, or wishes to be part of the gentle dragon, please email me at:  Sharon Price: civfa@....  Thank you.   I eagerly look forward to meeting you and your buttercups, and taller daffodils.
          Blessings on your day,
          Sharon