Big news from Little Round Schoolhouse

  • Becca Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 3:40 AM
      Good morning friends,
      The Little Round Schoolhouse looks to have some exciting changes coming our way and we wanted to share them with you!

      We are under contract to purchase a home in southwest Asheville and will be moving ourselves and the school.  This all happened very suddenly and for a myriad of reasons, but the move will be a very positive one for our school community.  We are purchasing land that borders the Arboretum and the national forest in Bent Creek.  Two shallow streams meet there and it is a certified natural wildlife and bird preserve.  The streams are filled with salamanders and the woods are literally in our backyard.  We are very excited about this move and we truly feel that the children will be nourished there.  While we haven't closed yet on the house (and anything can happen, they say), it seems pretty likely we will be moving there.  We have received quite an enthusiastic response from people regarding our probable move and we have been receiving many applications for next year.  We still have a few spots remaining for 2013-2014, both part and full time.  If you are interested in your child attending Little Round Schoolhouse next year, please contact us for more information and an application.

      Warmly,
      Becca Lane
      828.777.6318

      The Little Round Schoolhouse is a mixed age, home-based program for children 3-6 years old.  We are devoted to providing a quality program that meets the physical, social-emotional, mental, and spiritual needs of young children.  We recognize and value the magic of early childhood and want to create a space that honors and nurtures our young children.

      We draw a great amount of inspiration from the Waldorf model of early childhood education, which doesn’t include any formal academics but sets the foundation for academic learning later in life.  We believe that play is the true work of childhood and that learning by doing provides a framework for problem solving and critical thinking, as well as a love for lifelong learning.

      We surround our children with simple, natural toys and experiences.  We let the children do things directly for themselves, trusting in their natural development and growth.

      We enjoy a daily rhythm of activities including free indoor and outdoor play, circle time and story time, watercolor painting, baking, beeswax modeling, gardening, handwork and sewing, and seasonal crafts.

      We are a small school of dedicated teachers with many years experience working with children.  We value lifelong learning in ourselves and strive for continual education outside of the classroom.

    • Todd
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4 3:38 PM
        Wow Becca!!! Congratulations on this great possibility for you, the children and the community! It sounds like a truly lovely place and I am so happy for you, Scott, Ruby and Banyan.
        Many Blessings,
        Todd