Spiral of Light FRIDAY Dec 7th

  • beccaklane
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
      Greetings friends,
      Our Spiral of Light festival is this Friday, December 7th at Abernathy United Methodist Church (the home of Dandelion Hill).

      This is a silent and reverent festival that will allow each person to journey into the center of the spiral with their own apple candle. Once lit, these candles will then be placed along the spiral, causing it to slowly grow in brightness. The spiral is beneficial to all of us, allowing us to find our own inner light when faced with the darkness of winter. It is beautiful to see how each of our individual lights combine to create a bright glow.

      Due to the large number of anticipated attendants, we have decided to hold two separate back-to-back spiral walks. This will be in contrast to the single spiral walk of previous years. The first round (doors open from 5:15-5:30, spiral walk from 5:30-6:45) will be for early childhood ages and the second round will be for grade school aged children (doors open from 7:15-7:30, spiral walk from 7:30-8:30). Parents with children in both aged groups are welcome to choose either round.

      It is very important as adults that we hold the silent and peaceful mood of this festival when we are in the space with the children.

      Here are some guidelines to help you get the most out of this event:
      ***Be aware that there will be no admittance once the doors have been closed - please arrive early (5:15 for first spiral and 7:15 for second spiral)!***
      Upon arrival, you will be greeted by an usher and led inside to quietly find a seat.
      Once the center candle has been lit, you may choose your time to get your candle and enter the spiral:
      Walk the spiral to the center and there, light your candle apple from the center flame.
      Walk the spiral path out and place your candle apple on a gold star anywhere along the spiral path.
      Find your seat again and enjoy the music while the light grows as more and more candles are added.
      Children ages 7 and older may walk the spiral alone if they wish. However, younger children should be accompanied by an adult who can help them with their candle.
      You may choose to stay for the whole time or leave when you feel it is the right time for your family to go.

      A few reminders:
      *Please turn off your cell phones before you enter the building.
      *If you have young children who become very restless or loud, please quietly take them out. However, this is a family event, so there is no expectation for complete silence!
      *Please be sure to tie back long and loose hair. Also, be careful of the flames if wearing long skirts.
      *Please no flash photography. A professional photographer is taking photos to share with the group.

      If you are interested in finding our more about this beautiful festival, you can read more here(http://christopherushomeschool.typepad.com/blog/2006/11/advent.html).

      We hope to see you there!
    • Janis Craft
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2012
        We are looking forward to this again this year.  Question -- were photos from last year shared?  If so, where?  I would love to see them!  Thank you to all who are organizing this beautiful festival again.