Spiral of Light

  • cody b. hughey
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
      I'm reposting this because there were two minor things that I took out...

      so here it is once more in its final form.

      :)

      Hello friends and families,

      The Waldorf Festivals Guild is honored to invite you to the annual Spiral of Light.  This is a silent and reverent festival that will allow each child to journey into the spiral of light with their own apple candle.  It's a beautiful, memorable and often favorite festival.  The image of the spiral is therapeutic to the children, and to all of us--giving us light as we journey into the darker months of the year.  As adults, parents, teachers, and community members, it's very important that we help hold the silent and peaceful mood of this festival when we are in the space, as well to hold the intention for the festival as we prepare for it.

      When: Friday December 9th, 5:15--doors will be locked at 5:30
      Where: Dandelion Hill (Abernethy UMC Fellowship Hall)

      As with all festivals, it takes the full community to make them possible.  We need your help if you are able.

      We will need:

      *one family per school to help prepare the apples at 1:30 pm at Dandelion Hill on Thursday the 8th.
      *one family per school to help with setup from 12-2 pm on the 9th to prepare the space.
      *four greeters to help usher folks in
      *one person to hand out the apples
      *two "fire marshals" to keep an eye on the candles and be abreast of any problems that might arise
      *as many families as possible to stay until the end of the festival and help with a swift and thorough cleanup

      Here are some guidelines to help you get the most out of this event:
      *Upon arrival, you will be greeted by an usher and led inside to quietly find a seat.
      *Be aware that there will be no admittance once the doors have been closed.  So please arrive early!
      *Please turn off your cell phones before you enter the building.
      *Please no flash photography.  We will have a professional photographer take some photos to share with the group.
      *Once the center candle has been lit, you may choose your time to get your candle and enter the spiral.
      *At the center, light the candle from the center flame.
      *Walk the exit path out and place your candle on a gold star anywhere along the spiral path.
      *Find your seat again and enjoy the music while the light grows as more and more candles are added.
      *Children ages 7 and older may walk the spiral alone if they wish.  However, younger children should be accompanied by an adult who can help them with their candle.
      *For the family spiral, you may choose to stay for the whole time or leave when you feel it is the right time for your family to go.
      *If you have young children who become very restless or loud, please quietly take them out.  However, this is a family event, so there is no expectation for complete silence!
      *Please be sure to tie back long and loose hair.  Also, be careful of the flames if wearing long skirts.

      If you are interested in finding our more about this beautiful festival, you can read more here:

      Please contact us to volunteer and with any questions.

      Blessings,

      The Asheville Waldorf Festivals Guild
    • elizabeth_m_gilbert
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2013
        Hi everyone,

        I've been getting inquiries about this year's Spiral so I thought I would post here also so that everyone has the information.

        Azalea Mountain School is holding the Spiral of Light tomorrow evening, December 6.

        The early childhood spiral at 5:30 will just be for our youngest students and their families. However, the later spiral for the grades children is open to our community members who also want to participate.

        The doors open at 6:15 and the spiral will begin at 6:30. It is being held in the basement room of our school building.

        In light,

        Elizabeth