Re: [AshevilleTrackClub] Re: Training help?

  • Dani Webb
    Message 1 of 8 , May 27, 2009
      Hi John,
      Thank you so much for this info! I really appreciate it.

      On May 23, 2009, at 1:51 PM, John Noce wrote:

      --- In AshevilleTrackClub@ yahoogroups. com, "danifake" <danilwebb@. ..>
      wrote:

      > Hi, I am fairly new to running, and looking for a coach/trainer or
      program to help with distance, speed, nutrition & strength. I just ran a
      15K and am wanting to prep for a half marathon. Any ideas?

      > Thanks!

      Hey there,

      I'm not a "coach" per se, but I did assist the coach when I taught High
      School. I have a lot of coursework in Kinesiology and I'm pretty sure I
      could offer some sound advice. I ran Junior High Track, High School
      Track and Cross Country and I ran a little in College. Actually, I ran
      on my own in college and only on the team 1 season. I've run countless
      road races and when I was competitive, consistently placed in the top
      10% and always in the top 3 for my age group.

      I"m actually trying to get back into running. 3 kids, work and life
      really knocked me off the horse there for awhile.

      Distance: I'd stick with whatever training program you are working on
      now that let you run a 15k. Just make your long runs a little longer.
      I ran the Asheville half marathon and never ran more than 7 miles for my
      long run.

      Nutrition: I'd recommend fresh fruits and juices until noon. Then do a
      smart diet...lots of veggies, water, cut out the sodas, that type of
      thing.

      Strength: If you have the time, do a Mon/Wed?Fri schedule. Lift light
      weights with a lot of reps...12-15. You want endurance, not bulky
      muscle. Focus on your core too...strong abs make a strong runner.

      Most important... listen to your body. If you feel like running faster
      when training do it. If your body is really fighting you...ease off.
      My old coach would yell "no pain no gain" but then again, he always had
      injuries and I have run all these years and the worst I've suffered was
      a blister from running in new shoes.

      Speed: I like running repeat quarters and 800's at race pace.

      Add some hill work too as the Asheville Half (if that's the one you're
      getting ready for) is pretty hilly.

      Hope that helps you some.

      John
      (828) 582-4373

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dani L. Webb, M.A.
      Sr. Facilitator & Consultant
      Novations Group, Inc.

      828.275.5692

      “Always first assume good intention in people’s actions.
      You will be surprised how much it can change YOUR perspective.”

    • Dani Webb
      Message 2 of 8 , May 27, 2009
        Thanks, Melissa.
        I'll give her a call. :)

        On May 22, 2009, at 6:29 PM, mab wrote:

        Hi D,

        I used Pam Jezik who lives in Bakersville but is the best trainer I've ever had.  Helped me do my last two half marathons in under two hours.  For someone who is not the least bit fast like me, it was a miracle.  Pam's email is  pam.jezik@gmail. com  Pam's phone number is 828-230-7138.  She gave me a three month plan and it worked.  She is an amazing athlete too.  Am going to hire her again soon.  You will be pleased with the results, she really knows what she's doing.

        Melissa

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2009
          --- In AshevilleTrackClub@yahoogroups.com, "John Noce" <jnoce1967@...> wrote:

          > --- In AshevilleTrackClub@yahoogroups.com, "danifake" <danilwebb@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, I am fairly new to running, and looking for a coach/trainer or
          > program to help with distance, speed, nutrition & strength. I just ran a
          > 15K and am wanting to prep for a half marathon. Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >

          > Hey there,
          >
          > I'm not a "coach" per se, but I did assist the coach when I taught High
          > School. I have a lot of coursework in Kinesiology and I'm pretty sure I
          > could offer some sound advice. I ran Junior High Track, High School
          > Track and Cross Country and I ran a little in College. Actually, I ran
          > on my own in college and only on the team 1 season. I've run countless
          > road races and when I was competitive, consistently placed in the top
          > 10% and always in the top 3 for my age group.
          >
          > I"m actually trying to get back into running. 3 kids, work and life
          > really knocked me off the horse there for awhile.
          >
          > Distance: I'd stick with whatever training program you are working on
          > now that let you run a 15k. Just make your long runs a little longer.
          > I ran the Asheville half marathon and never ran more than 7 miles for my
          > long run.
          >
          > Nutrition: I'd recommend fresh fruits and juices until noon. Then do a
          > smart diet...lots of veggies, water, cut out the sodas, that type of
          > thing.
          >
          > Strength: If you have the time, do a Mon/Wed?Fri schedule. Lift light
          > weights with a lot of reps...12-15. You want endurance, not bulky
          > muscle. Focus on your core too...strong abs make a strong runner.
          >
          > Most important...listen to your body. If you feel like running faster
          > when training do it. If your body is really fighting you...ease off.
          > My old coach would yell "no pain no gain" but then again, he always had
          > injuries and I have run all these years and the worst I've suffered was
          > a blister from running in new shoes.
          >
          > Speed: I like running repeat quarters and 800's at race pace.
          >
          > Add some hill work too as the Asheville Half (if that's the one you're
          > getting ready for) is pretty hilly.
          >
          > Hope that helps you some.
          >
          > John
          > (828) 582-4373

          I have ran 5 half marathons and my first was 2 1/2 years ago. In that time I went from running my first in 2 hours and 15 minutes to my most recent which was 1 hour and 33 minutes. I used Hal Higdon's training plans. He has plans on his website www.halhigdon.com for various distances and according to your stage in running. He has a beginner, intermediate, and advanced program. These programs have really helped me with my speed and endurance. I hope this helps.

          Myrna