Re: [AshevilleTrackClub] Re: Anyone Not Able To Run Citizen-Times?

  • me
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
      Does anyone wonder why the half is capped at 1,000 but yet the Bele Chere 5K is uncapped? Surely, the Half could expand to 1500 .... like the 5K was almost at last month.

      Just a thought.

      TJ

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
        And Bethel is a lot more forgiving than the ACT 1/2! lol.
        Josh, if I can't do the ACT, I'll let you know, but as of now, it's on my list.
        bg

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
          Doesn't make much sense to me either...if there are more runners, it means more fees received, so if the race resources have to be bumped up, one would think they'd have the $$$ to do it with...
          bg

        • pfitzpatrf@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
            Gang,

            I sent an email to Greg Duff who is the race organizer.  He says that he has posted an answer to this question on his race blog at the Citizen Times website but, to give a quick answer, he says that "because of the new course I want to make sure the roads, neighborhoods and supply management can accomodate that size of field".  it looks like a very legitimate reason to me!

            Paul

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
              I would just think that the half marathon would be able to have at least as many runners as a 5K especially since everyone knows that at least 75-100 of the entries will not even show up on raceday.

              I think an idea would be to have 100 entries on race morning so that the field would actually be 1,000. Just an idea.

              TJ

              I sent an email to Greg Duff who is the race organizer.  He says that he has posted an answer to this question on his race blog at the Citizen Times website but, to give a quick answer, he says that "because of the new course I want to make sure the roads, neighborhoods and supply management can accomodate that size of field".  it looks like a very legitimate reason to me!

              Paul

              Doesn't make much sense to me either...if there are more runners, it means more fees received, so if the race resources have to be bumped up, one would think they'd have the $$$ to do it with...
              bg

              --- In AshevilleTrackClub@ yahoogroups. com, me <marino13rulez@ ...> wrote:

              > Does anyone wonder why the half is capped at 1,000 but yet the Bele Chere 5K is uncapped? Surely, the Half could expand to 1500 .... like the 5K was almost at last month.
              >
              > Just a thought.
              >
              > TJ

            • Joshua Batenhorst
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
                I checked the blog, but am still not satisfied.  If the point is to see if the course can handle 1000 people, why is there no wait list?  It seems like a wait list could be handled pretty easily by saying it was in-person only, that wait listed runners pay cash only, and tell them they're running under the name the bib is attached to.  Then, after the race, they can change the identity by turning in their bib with their real name.  You don't know if your race can hold 1000 people if you have 900 runners, capiche?

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
                  Ran the "new" course past Saturday and it's not that new...plus, given all the races in AVL, there aren't many secret neighborhoods we haven't seen...problem areas aren't going to change if there were 1,200, or 1,300 or 1,500 runners (we'll be spread out and won't all arrive at Beaverdam and the same time :)...a time limit is appropriate, and the course should "roll-up" following the last/time limit runners...I guess I just dislike race cut-off numbers, especially in a smaller race like this. We should encourage everyone to run! Serenity...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 19, 2009
                    I would say in an effort to assist the Citizen-Times in figuring out exactly how many runners the course can manage, we need additional runners on the course, registered or not. Then, the C-T will know exactly how many runners the limit should be set for in the future.

                    This is really the only way to know what the limit should be set at for future events. So, we can't let the C-T down in this their time of need.