Large Mushroom in Back Yard

  • L X
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2010
    ... appeared last week. Can anyone id?
  • Joe Childers
    Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2010
      Probably 'Hen of the Woods', Ployporus frondosus, aka Grifola
      frondosa. Have it checked out, may be prized edible.
      joe

      > ... appeared last week. Can anyone id?

    • STEPHEN PEEK
      Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2010
        I'd say you have two possibilities:
        1) Bondarzewii berkleyii
        2) Meripilus sumstemii

        My spelling isn't good, but that should get you there in the guide book.
        Wrong time of year for Griffola, Joe.

        HTH,
        Steve
        Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2010

          This sort of response is the danger of trying to "ID" mushrooms remotely and why we disallow requests for identification or claims of identification! "Have it checked out" is a reasonable suggestion but do it with someone experienced that you would trust with your life. NO ONE should ever eat ANYTHING based on what was posted on this newsgroup! Suggestions only and please do not ask for an "ID". Folks are welcome to ask for and give opinions and suggestions but please keep it at that and do your own due diligence or get help in person! Thanks, Dave