Staff Meeting

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 11, 2001
      Old Business

      Kadlin is putting in final micro-edits in the Beginner's course. How does
      that stand? What is our plan on Palmizing?

      I have registered the asatru-u.org domain and it will be up (with a "we're
      working on it" page) Real Soon Now. We can put the Beginner's course there
      when it is declared Shipped. Would someone like to work on a main page for
      the domain? And let's all hail Lorrie at our next sumbel for putting that
      domain up for us.

      We will need to publicize the Beginner's course, too. Who would like to
      take the lead on that? We can all do our bit in tacking flyers to
      telephone poles, but we need a plan for reaching organizations, I think.

      And we need to resume work on the Intermediate course now that we have an
      idea where the Beginner's ends. Please go to our Yahoo! Groups page and
      review message 500, which I think is where we left off on that.

      New Business!

      The Reeves Hall is eligible to apply for grants through the FWA, but first
      we have to think of what we would do with money. Any ideas on how to make
      Asatru-U better by judicious applications of cash? I think it would be
      decent to help defray some of Lorrie's expenses on the domain. But what
      else?

      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

      "Reporters perform lossy compression on data." -- Jonathan W Hendry
    • kadlinw@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 13, 2001
        Manny Olds wrote:

        > Kadlin is putting in final micro-edits in the Beginner's course.
        > How does that stand?

        Just about done. I've been forced to work on it in bits & dabs, so I
        need to get a block of time to go through it one more time & make
        sure I haven't forgotten anything between sessions. Then Groa's
        going to take a final look at it. Should be done soon.

        > We will need to publicize the Beginner's course, too. Who would
        > like to take the lead on that? We can all do our bit in tacking
        > flyers to telephone poles, but we need a plan for reaching
        > organizations, I think.

        Diana Paxson wanted someone to write a short article on the course to
        be included in Idunna, I don't know if that was ever done or not.
        Perhaps something could be written for Lina as well? Does anyone on
        the committee have any connections with any other heathen newsletters
        that might publish a sort of "press release"?

        We should try to get the page indexed on "About.com", as well as some
        of the search engines as well. Someone want to write some metatags
        for the course? We need a very short summary of what it is so that
        it will come up elegantly on the search engines that use metatags.

        About.com's Asatru index is at:
        http://altreligion.about.com/religion/altreligion/cs/asatru/index.htm

        --Kadlin

        P.S. I see that About.com's "alternative religions" index today has
        a "spotlight" article on Asatru & racism:
        http://altreligion.about.com/religion/altreligion/index.htm
      • tsdoughty@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 13, 2001
          In a message dated 4/13/01 8:04:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
          kadlinw@... writes:

          > Diana Paxson wanted someone to write a short article on the course to
          > be included in Idunna, I don't know if that was ever done or not.

          Nope, wasn't done. Said I would do it and then procrastinated big time. Mea
          culpa - how to say that in Old Saxon? My major psychological barrier here
          was self-doubt about what to say. But let me just make a stab, submit it and
          let you make changes, like everything else we've done. I'll make Sunday as
          my deadline.

          Tim

        • Ann Sheffield
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 15, 2001
            Manny Olds wrote:

            > We will need to publicize the Beginner's course, too. Who would like to
            > take the lead on that? We can all do our bit in tacking flyers to
            > telephone poles, but we need a plan for reaching organizations, I think.

            Once the Beginners Course is up on the new domain, simply announcing
            this on the various email lists should reach a lot of people.

            I also think we should literally have flyers - I plan to go to
            Trothmoot, Starwood, and the East Coast Thing this year, and I think
            there would be interested potential users at all three. And, I know
            various other members of this group will be attending various other
            gatherings, so again our potential audience is large. I imagine the
            flyer as a one-page (front and back, attractively folded into thirds)
            description of the Beginners Course and the topics it covers. (Later,
            of course, we can add Glowing Testimonials from Satisfied Users as well
            as a description of the other courses as they shape up.)

            I could probably talk Bob Stine into doing some artwork for it - any
            ideas for a theme for the art? Come to think of it, I might be able
            talk Rob Shaver into doing the layout, too. Hmm - this basically boils
            down to whether or not the rest of my Kindred is interested in
            contributing to this project. I'll ask about this at our blot at the
            end of this month. If the Kindred decides we want to take it on, and if
            the AU group comes to some agreement about what should be in the flyer,
            we could probably start work on layout.

            And, I think we now have some ideas for how we could use grant money if
            there were any - paying for the domain, and printing & postage costs for
            publicity materials.

            Wassail,

            Groa
          • kadlinw@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 15, 2001
              Just to bring everyone up to date:

              Yesterday, I sent off what I think is the penultimate version of the
              beginner's course to Groa, who kindly volunteered to nit-pick any
              remaining errors.

              She just sent me the first installment, so I think the course will be
              ready fairly soon. We can easily get "shipped" before Trothmoot!
              (Assuming all the other technical stuff goes according to plan.)

              --Kadlin
            • kadlinw@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 19, 2001
                Manny Olds wrote:

                > And we need to resume work on the Intermediate course now that
                > we have an idea where the Beginner's ends. Please go to our
                > Yahoo! Groups page and review message 500, which I think is where
                > we left off on that.

                Manny is right, we need to keep our noses to the grindstone and get
                back to the intermediate course. Only by building on our prior work
                will Asatru-U have real value. Otherwise, it's just a glorified link
                farm.

                I know from past experience that it is pesky for people to look
                things up in the archives and comment on them, so to keep the ball
                rolling I going to forward message 500 back to the list by posting it
                below. If you have already looked it up on the Yahoo Groups site, I
                apologize for the bandwidth use. Forgive me, I'm just trying to make
                things simple.

                --Kadlin

                P.S. The complete Intermediate Outline Version 1.0 is in message #342.

                Message #500:

                Let's go back to where we were when the summer scattered us: Message
                #414 from our archive.

                --- In Asatru-U@egroups.com, Manny Olds <oldsma@c...> wrote:
                On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Manny Olds wrote:

                ) The purpose of life is to establish and maintain right
                ) relationships with those around us: family, community,
                ) the gods, wyrd. The purpose of religion is to give us
                ) a pattern for doing that; a religious community
                ) shares mutual support for the efforts of its members.
                )
                ) Specifically, "To be Asatru is to blot the gods and to
                ) acknowledge that one's life ought to be led according
                ) to a moral code." [Manny's mangling of Groa's simple
                ) definition, under the influence of Dirk Mahling's "4
                ) Bedposts".] Because this feeds back and ties us into
                ) Wyrd in the right way.
                )
                ) As I see it, Groa's outline wraps around this post three
                ) times in a descending spiral:
                )
                ) I - III quick, shallow, review/evening up; introduces idea of
                ) relationships and wyrd.
                )
                ) IV-VII Gets into some specifics on what we *do* about this in
                ) practice. Begins to show deeper connections between
                ) things that might seem separate on the surface.
                )
                ) VIII-XI Explicit, hands-on, conscious management of wyrd
                )
                ) So the readings and activities should follow this pattern,
                ) with the same basic facts repeated three times, but at deeper
                ) and more abstract levels.

                With this in mind, let's revisit Wrap #1. Can we fill in some
                more specific facts or concepts that the student should take away
                from each section? How are we building in hooks for Wrap #2?
                What about readings and activities--these seem a bit sparse here.

                FIRST "WRAP" OF INTERMEDIATE OUTLINE VER. 1.0

                I. Includes historical context, then and now; Asatru "rooms"
                Scandinavian, Germanic, Anglo-Saxon, even Gothic.

                Rationale: provides context for the rest of the course.

                Activity: Sitting out & extending perceptions; informal personal
                offering to being(s) of choice.

                Reading: Reeves Hall "Asatru in Brief" brochure; begin reading
                Crossley-Holland.

                II. Wyrd and Orlog

                Includes oaths and blood-siblinghood; introduces idea of standards of
                conduct.

                Rationale: central principle of Germanic thought; informs everything
                else.

                Activity:

                Reading: Selected extracts from Egil's Saga.

                III. Gods and Other Etins

                Their nature; they are subject to wyrd; highlights of god-roster.

                Rationale: gives students an understanding of who offerings are made
                _to_ for next section. Keeps people reading the myths (begun in Part
                I).

                Activity: Choose a specific god; write/present a very short bio or
                description of that god, including something about personality or
                interests.

                Reading: Finish Crossley-Holland. Begin ???

                Manny Olds <oldsma@c...> of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

                Sometimes you give a guy a fish, sometimes you teach him to fish,
                sometimes you establish a fisherman training school, and sometimes you
                have to let him find his own solution.
                --- End forwarded message ---
              • Ann Sheffield
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 20, 2001
                  My initial perception is that the Beginner's course goes farther than we
                  originally imagined it would and that some of the Intermediate material
                  has consequently become redundant.

                  Tangential query - do we have a list of Required Texts for the
                  Intermediate course at this point? (Kadlin's got me dead to rights, I
                  hate searching list archives and hope that some more-organized person
                  has the info. ready to hand.) And, are we proceeding on the assumption
                  that Intermediate students do not necessarily have Internet or ILL
                  access, and that the texts should therefore be books in print? I ask
                  because, in my own classes, the books I assign have some influence on
                  the order and emphasis of the course. IIRC, we didn't include Dubois'
                  recent book on Viking Age religion before, and I think we might want to
                  consider adding it.

                  Wassail,

                  Groa
                • Kadlin Waltheofsdottir
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 20, 2001
                    Ann Sheffield wrote:

                    > And, are we proceeding on the assumption
                    > that Intermediate students do not necessarily have Internet or ILL
                    > access, and that the texts should therefore be books in print?

                    Keeping the list of readings to things that are actually in print is
                    a better idea, though I think out-of-print things can be supplemental.

                    However, I think that we can assume that if people managed to get
                    their hands on the course, they can get enough internet access to at
                    least print articles off for online perusal. At least for articles,
                    if not for entire books.

                    Is the plan to make the course primarily web-based, like the
                    beginner's course, or to make it primarily "real book" based, kind of
                    like the self-study course The Troth sells or used to sell?

                    My preference is that it should have many more things to *do* than
                    the beginner's course has.

                    --Kadlin
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 20, 2001
                      On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Kadlin Waltheofsdottir wrote:

                      > My preference is that it should have many more things to *do* than the
                      > beginner's course has.

                      That was part of our original plan, an "Activity" for each lesson. We had
                      also conceived of it for small study groups with someone acting as a
                      "study leader"--to coordinate them and keep things moving.

                      And I think that some overlap back into the material covered in the
                      Beginner's course would be desirable. Some people will skip the
                      Beginner's. Some people will do it, but not pick up on everything. And if
                      the Intermediate is a group activity, review will give them a chance to
                      discuss what they had done individually: to improve their individual
                      understanding and also to help them develop a group sense of what they are
                      about.

                      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

                      No one ought to be completely serious *all* the time. It leads to
                      constipation and headaches.
                    • Ann Sheffield
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 23, 2001
                        Manny Olds wrote:

                        > On Fri, 20 Apr 2001, Kadlin Waltheofsdottir wrote:
                        >
                        > > My preference is that it should have many more things to *do* than the
                        > > beginner's course has.

                        Agreed.

                        > And if
                        > the Intermediate is a group activity, review will give them a chance to
                        > discuss what they had done individually: to improve their individual
                        > understanding and also to help them develop a group sense of what they are
                        > about.

                        I agree that working in a group would be the ideal for this course, but
                        I think that won't be possible for everyone and that the course should
                        be usable by solitaries, also.

                        Review is a good idea - we just need to check for compatibility between
                        the Beginners and Intermediate courses to avoid either rote repetition
                        or unbridged gulfs.

                        Wassail,

                        Groa
                      • Mike Normand
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 30, 2001
                          Heilsa All,

                          (me beating head into computer chanting new mantra
                          Must proof read, Must proof read..)

                          Sorry for the typo's I was in a rush and my brain is
                          faster than my fingers... :(

                          In Frith,
                          Mike

                          Who will crawl under a rock until he passes his class
                          in typing from the ACME school for typing... :\

                          http://auctions.yahoo.com/