Re: [Asatru-U] Current plan

  • tsdoughty@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
      In a message dated 3/16/2001 7:49:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      kadlinw@... writes:

      > Meanwhile, we need volunteers for the following:
      > 1) make sure all the links are still good
      > 2) create some sort of metatag to help people find the course when
      > they are using search engines.
      > 3) find out what is needed to make the course PalmPilot compatible.
      > This would best be done by someone who actually owns one. Karl, can
      > you use AvantGo to load the version as currently posted on your
      > device & let us know how well it works, what needs to be done to make
      > it better? Do the indents & the blockquote tags work on the
      > PalmPilot?

      I'll volunteer for #1, since I don't know what # 2 & 3 mean. :)

      Give me until Tuesday to check everything, cuz I'll be out of town this
      weekend.

      Tim

    • lwood@snugharbor.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
        Yeah, I can host that. It's a good idea. Who gets to pay the $35?
        I prefer to use www.inww.com for my registrations, btw.
        -- Lorrie, @train, US-Canadian border
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
          >From: kadlinw@...

          >3) find out what is needed to make the course PalmPilot compatible.
          >This would best be done by someone who actually owns one. Karl, can
          >you use AvantGo to load the version as currently posted on your
          >device & let us know how well it works, what needs to be done to make
          >it better? Do the indents & the blockquote tags work on the
          >PalmPilot?

          Well, I don't know that it would work, since there is a 100K hard limit per
          access site, regardless of how much info it's associated with. Secondly,
          you have to have the site exposed outside (in its home), in one place that
          won't move, to test it. So, we'd need to find a home. Thirdly, you have to
          know how many layers it's going down (sub-pages) to recommend.

          AvantGo is more for channels, info that changes daily. HTML format would be
          much better. Lorrie suggested on which might be compatible with any device.
          I have an HTML borwser called iBrowser from Foliage Systems for my WinCE
          2.1 device, so if we can get it into a 280x320 format, it should work just
          fine. Lorrie -- if there's a test file you have on a converter, let me
          know, I can download it and try to view it.

          '/\` Frith upon your house
          //\\ Karl Donaldsson
          \\// mekboy@...
          `\/' http://i.am/mekboy
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
            On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, lwood@... wrote:

            ) Yeah, I can host that. It's a good idea. Who gets to pay the $35?
            ) I prefer to use www.inww.com for my registrations, btw.
            ) -- Lorrie, @train, US-Canadian border

            I'll do it. .net, do you think? Or .org? An essential style choice.

            Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

            "Fools show their anger at once, but the prudent ignore an insult."
            -- Proverbs 12:16
          • lwood@snugharbor.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
              .org, no doubt. We're not an Internet provider on the backbone, which is what .net is for.
              -- Lorrie, in the jam behind a total closure on I-90, E of Erie, PA
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001

                It'll be in a stable place if we nail down www.asatru-u.org. ;)

                > Thirdly, you have to
                > know how many layers it's going down (sub-pages) to recommend.

                I'm not thrilled with AvantGo -- if it's free, it'll need noxious
                ads somewhere, or someone will have to cough up cash... or something like
                that.

                > AvantGo is more for channels, info that changes daily. HTML format would be
                > much better. Lorrie suggested on which might be compatible with any device.
                > I have an HTML borwser called iBrowser from Foliage Systems for my WinCE
                > 2.1 device, so if we can get it into a 280x320 format, it should work just
                > fine. Lorrie -- if there's a test file you have on a converter, let me
                > know, I can download it and try to view it.

                I was suggesting the Palm doc format, which isn't HTML, and about
                which I know damn little. I'll do a little reading on it tonight.

                ... (a little while later) ...

                Hey, I found a perl script that'll take text and turn it into
                Palm doc files! That'll work, right? It's at:

                http://sourceforge.net/projects/bibelot/

                Erm, well, you have to have a system that can run perl, which
                is anything once you install perl (installing it can be tricky) -- then
                you need a palm to test even native readability. Guess I just got stuck
                with the conversions, which means it has to wait a couple weeks. However,
                it looks like we're still reviewing, so that's no big deal.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 16, 2001
                  On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 06:11:45PM -0500, lwood@... wrote:
                  > .org, no doubt. We're not an Internet provider on the backbone, which is
                  > what .net is for.
                  >
                  > -- Lorrie, in the jam behind a total closure on I-90, E of Erie, PA

                  Good lord. That IMAP client on my palm makes total hash of sending
                  e-mail. I was three and a half hours getting through that jam, too.
                  Anyway, .org all the way. .net is inappropriate, at least to this crusty
                  old fart.

                  -- Lorrie, finally in Cleveland.