Re: [Asatru-U] beginners course

  • Ann Sheffield
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2 9:44 AM
      Hello all,

      Sorry I've gone silent recently - this semester at work is proving more
      than usually challenging. Will try to look at the Beginner's Course
      outline next weekend (the 10th).

      In the meantime, I'm a bit confused about the relationship between the
      Beginner's Course and the FAQ. The Course I see as designed for people
      who already are quite interested in Asatru, whereas some of the FAQ
      questions seem more like concerns of people who've just stumbled across
      us, people whose near and dear are becoming interested, etc. I.e., the
      FAQ seems to be a sort of "pre-beginners" document. I'd like to get the
      Beginners Course into a form we're comfortable announcing the world (I
      think we're very close now) before getting seriously involved with
      another project.

      Wassail,

      Groa

      Ann Groa Sheffield
      Medoburg Kindred
      www.medoburg.org
    • Arlie Stephens
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2 2:07 PM
        On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 12:44:39PM -0500, Ann Sheffield wrote:
        > I'd like to get the
        > Beginners Course into a form we're comfortable announcing the world (I
        > think we're very close now) before getting seriously involved with
        > another project.

        This may be a bit of a tangent, but what is the consensus on pointing
        interested newbies towards the not quite finished Beginner's Course?

        In particular, I'm going to be doing an "Asatru for Newbies" presentation
        at a local pagan convention in a couple of weeks, and want to point people
        towards this class; even in "not quite finished" form, it's very good,
        and I've seen other people give the URL to newbies looking for information.

        I also want to link to the class from my own web site.

        Would people have a problem with me doing either of these things?

        --
        Arlie

        (Arlie Stephens arlie@...)
      • tsdoughty@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 2:45 PM
          > In particular, I'm going to be doing an "Asatru for Newbies" presentation
          > at a local pagan convention in a couple of weeks, and want to point people
          > towards this class; even in "not quite finished" form, it's very good,
          > and I've seen other people give the URL to newbies looking for information.
          >
          > I also want to link to the class from my own web site.

          Seems ok to me. Information is information as far as I'm concerned. I
          remember Manny having something of an opinion on this. Sorry, Manny, what
          was your opinion?

          Tim

        • heathensailor@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2 6:59 PM
            --- In Asatru-U@y..., tsdoughty@a... wrote:

            > > In particular, I'm going to be doing an "Asatru for Newbies"
            presentation
            > > at a local pagan convention in a couple of weeks, and want to
            point people
            > > towards this class; even in "not quite finished" form, it's very
            good,
            > > and I've seen other people give the URL to newbies looking for
            information.

            I think it is common knowledge that I have been sending people to the
            course for months. We have a version up in the Hbooks files. In fact,
            just sent the url to someone on Janna's list today. Finished is best,
            but what's done and been done is much better than nothing.

            As far as posting versions on other websites, that is under
            discussion and currently prohibited under the copyright. It may
            however, be printed out and freely distributed, again within the
            copyright provisions.

            My philosophy is looser than that but I am content with what we have.

            Goodgoan,

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 4 2:54 PM
              On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Ann Sheffield wrote:

              ) In the meantime, I'm a bit confused about the relationship between the
              ) Beginner's Course and the FAQ. The Course I see as designed for people
              ) who already are quite interested in Asatru, whereas some of the FAQ
              ) questions seem more like concerns of people who've just stumbled across
              ) us, people whose near and dear are becoming interested, etc. I.e., the
              ) FAQ seems to be a sort of "pre-beginners" document. I'd like to get the
              ) Beginners Course into a form we're comfortable announcing the world (I
              ) think we're very close now) before getting seriously involved with
              ) another project.

              I wanted to go over the section introductions and thought I would figure
              out the correspondences to the FAQuestions where they applied, so I could
              build in some references to the questions the course *does* answer.

              Manny Olds, (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

              "And there is always the zen pleasure of the project that no one in their
              right mind would ever undertake... " -- LAW (Leigh Witchel)