Islamic Example

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
      Here is an interesting example of a site aimed at Muslim novices. I like
      the emphasis on practical things (like how to fasten the head scarf and
      that it is all right to get your prayer rug at Target).

      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

      "Legislation against new religions is often inspired by the self-interest
      of established religions, which, like any business, resent competition and
      the loss of their market share."
      -- Hexham & Poewe, _New Religions as Global Cultures_
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
        On Mon, 18 Dec 2000, Manny Olds wrote:

        ) Here is an interesting example of a site aimed at Muslim novices. I like
        ) the emphasis on practical things (like how to fasten the head scarf and
        ) that it is all right to get your prayer rug at Target).

        Oh, uh: http://members.nbci.com/Al_Shahada/index.htm

        Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

        Oops.
      • tsdoughty@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
          oldsma@... writes:

          > ) Here is an interesting example of a site aimed at Muslim novices. I like
          > ) the emphasis on practical things (like how to fasten the head scarf and
          > ) that it is all right to get your prayer rug at Target).

          I found the article "Convertitis, or the Case of the Insta-Scholar"
          interesting from our own religious viewpoint.

          Tim

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
            On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 tsdoughty@... wrote:

            ) I found the article "Convertitis, or the Case of the Insta-Scholar"
            ) interesting from our own religious viewpoint.

            Here is an excellent quote from that article:

            "Those individuals who adopt Islam because they need an identity will be
            condemed to wander the sectarian and factional hall of mirrors, constantly
            looking for the perfect group that will give them their desperately needed
            sense of specialness and superiority. ...Those who come to Islam seeking
            an identity will find the multiplicity of traditional Muslim cultures
            intolerable. People with confused identities are attracted to totalitarian
            solutions. And today, many young Muslims feel so threated by the diversity
            of calls on their allegiance, and by the sheer complexity of modernity,
            that the only form of Islam they can regard as legitimate is a
            totalitarian, monolithic one. That there should be four schools of Islamic
            law is to them unbearable. That Muslim cultures should legitimiately
            differ is a species of blashphemy."

            I think that including quotes like this one in a beginner's course would
            be an excellent way to disabuse our novices of the idea that their
            conversion to Asatru is the center of the universe. But then, I am an old
            grump.

            Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

            "A sharp-witted shield-warrior who thinks must be able to judge each of
            the two things--words and works." -- Beowulf (trans. E. Talbot Donaldson)
          • tsdoughty@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2000
              oldsma@... writes:

              > I think that including quotes like this one in a beginner's course would
              > be an excellent way to disabuse our novices of the idea that their
              > conversion to Asatru is the center of the universe.

              Agreed. It's providing an upgraded service to searchers in defining their
              religion for themselves and placing it within a meaningful context, in
              addition to giving lists of reading material. It might get them along their
              path quicker.

              No, you've just been around the block a few more times than the newbies.

              Tim