catch-up .. was: curriculum

  • ngilcach
    Message 1 of 39 , Dec 1, 2000
      I am new to the list & reading through the archives. If this matter is redundant, the ignore it.

      Message #126, it was posted [[I am frankly appalled by the idea that we should assume a "ninth grade reading level". Anyone (Asatru or otherwise) who is not reading at at least a high school graduate level should IMO be spending his/her free time working on his/her reading skills. Simply functioning well in our culture requires that much.]]
      ** I have to agree here.

      The daily newspaper of any given city in America is more often than not written on a 8th - 9th grade level. I do not feel justified in contributing to the "dumbing down" of America, let alone Asatru.

      In Service ...
      Yngona
    • Lee Ann
      Message 39 of 39 , Dec 1, 2000
        At 08:49 PM 12/1/00 -0000, Yngona wrote:

        >The daily newspaper of any given city in America is more often than not
        written on a 8th - 9th >grade level. I do not feel justified in
        contributing to the "dumbing down" of America, let alone >Asatru.

        5th or 6th grade level, actually. And it's scary how many people *still*
        can't make heads-or-tails of the paper (this is your average city paper,
        not something specialized like the Times or the WSJ).

        Lee Ann
        ... who is very frightened for this country, sometimes... in addition to
        the literacy issue, it's terrifying how many people out there are driving,
        either never having gotten a license, or having had it taken away from them
        permanently or temporarily...

        ----
        morgan1@...