RE: [Asatru-U] Can't Tell the Players without a Scorecard...

  • ÚlfgrímR goði
    Message 1 of 43 , Oct 11, 2000
      Heilsan;

      Agreed (of course I get one last post, too!) ;-)

      > I think the phrase that had that effect on me was
      >
      > In this typology, it is this willingness to encorporate both
      > modern practices (either pure inventions or crossovers from
      > related occult practices such as Ritual Magick) and
      > non-culturally-specific ideas that defines a faith as neo-Pagan.
      >
      > And I admit, the first organization that came to mind was the Unitarian
      > Universalists, not the Anglicans.

      Fair enough; I think it might be worth a re-write.

      > I think most neo-Pagans think the defining characteristic of *neo-*
      Paganism
      > is the lack of an *unbroken* historical tradition. I.e. by *that*
      definition,
      > Heidni is neo-Pagan.

      Unfortunately, every group is going to have its own vocabulary, and its
      definitions of pagan and neo-pagan are going to differ (the Catholics have
      one definition of pagan, and the Wiccans have another, etc.). The Ontario
      Consultants on Religious Tolerance have a couple of good discussions of the
      topic at http://www.religioustolerance.org/paganism.htm and
      http://www.religioustolerance.org/neo_paga.htm , and also make a distinction
      between pagan and heathen. Personally, I see Heiðni under their third
      definition of Pagan, myself. </thread>

      In frith,

      ÚlfgrímR goði,
      Gers Ey Goðorð