Re: [Asatru-U] Fw: Beginner's outline

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 19, 2000
      On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Rick A. Riedlinger wrote:

      ) > On the topic of links to articles about sumbels, I went looking for (and
      ) > found) a pretty interesting article that I previously read on the web a
      ) > couple of years ago, an article called "On S(t)umbling Grammar and Ritual
      ) > Breakdown: An Examination of a Modern Reconstructed Ritual in Secular
      ) > Context." by Thad N. Z. Horrell:
      ) > http://students.missouri.edu/~sacredw/sumbpap.html
      ) > It appears to be an academic paper written by an anthropology student at
      ) the
      ) > University of Missouri.
      ) >
      ) > I'm not sure that it is appropriate for the "Beginner's Outline" (and I'm
      ) > too late with it anyway), but I thought it might be interesting to read
      ) > anyway.

      I like this article a lot. It strikes me as more toward "intermediate",
      though. I suppose I need to read it again...Yes, I think that it fits in
      as a chance to talk about "Theory of Sumbel": what is the role of alcohol,
      what is a sumbel supposed to accomplish, what can disrupt that, etc. IMO,
      of course. The whole discussion of people choosing the wrong examples to
      follow is just the kind of thing I had in mind when I started typing "Code
      and Culture".

      ::fingers marching off to save a copy of this one on my hard drive in case
      it evaporates off the web::

      Manny Olds <oldsma@...> of Riverdale Park, Maryland, USA

      "A sharp-witted shield-warrior who thinks must be able to judge each of
      the two things--words and works." -- Beowulf (trans. E. Talbot Donaldson)
    • jenny blain
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 19, 2000
        Hi all,

        I'm pleased to report that my second set of booklets on practical
        Heathenism, entitled 'Wights and Ancestors: Heathenism in a Living
        Landscape' arrived today - after problems with the cover, followed by
        a move, a petrol blockade crisis, no deliveries for a week and the
        Gods only know what... ;)

        Anyway - they're here, with many more photographs, a full-colour
        glossy cover of one of the standing stones at Avebury, and a proper
        spine this time. 52 pp plus title pages..

        Waes thu hael,
        Jenny
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 19, 2000
          On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:10:26PM +0100, jenny blain wrote:

          > I got two copies of my message - Really, I only sent it out once.. Am
          > sending this to see what now happens to this message!
          > Jenny

          I got two copies of it too -- identical message ID's, I
          believe. It appears as though your ISP is sending it twice.

          Now that I've seen it more than once, I can look into it. 8-)

          -- Lorrie
        • jenny blain
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 19, 2000
            I got two copies of my message - Really, I only sent it out once.. Am
            sending this to see what now happens to this message!
            Jenny
          • Ann Sheffield
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2000
              jenny blain wrote:

              > I'm pleased to report that my second set of booklets on practical
              > Heathenism, entitled 'Wights and Ancestors: Heathenism in a Living
              > Landscape' arrived today

              So how do we get one?

              Wassail,

              Groa
            • jenny blain
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2000
                Sorry didn't reply sooner, Groa!

                There's a woman who runs an online-store who is interested in taking
                some - but I'm waiting to hear back from her. Rather than wait
                further, if enough people would be interested we could do as we did
                before, which has the advantage of cutting down the postage costs.
                The price is the same - £4 - but postage will be more because these
                are thicker and hence heavier (and have a spine and a glossy cover...)

                Jenny