Re: [Asatru-U] Assembled

  • Swain Wodening
    Message 1 of 31 , May 1, 2000

      > Manny Olds wrote:
      >
      > > I think we need a list of topics *and* a list of client types. And
      > > then we need to correlate the two.
      > >

      > Yes. "Client types" seems to have two axes at present - level, and (as
      > suggested by Teleri) goal.
      >
      > Here's a description of what I think one of "client types" is and what
      > they might find useful:
      >
      > Rank Beginner - trying to figure out what Asatru _is_. Possible goals:
      > is simply interested in knowing about various paths, is trying to figure
      > out whether Asatru is right for him/her, or has already felt the gods
      > calling and wants to start learning and practicing. Since none of these
      > clients know much at this point, it's likely that the same materials
      > could serve them all.
      >
      > Possible topics for this level:
      >
      > -Myths of the North: my feeling is that this is a better way of teaching
      > about the gods and goddesses, their characteristics and personalities,
      > than writing exposition about them. We also have excellent texts
      > (Crossley-Holland, Page, etc.) that we can recommend in this area.
      >
      > -Basics of Asatru Ritual - what a blot is and what it means; what a
      > sumble is and what it means; some options on how to conduct both.
      > Perhaps also some advice on how to set up a home altar, how to start
      > trying to connect with/meditate on the god/desses, etc. This should
      > probably be aimed at solitaries, as someone connected with a group will
      > probably learn the basic stuff from them and doesn't need us.
      >
      > -The Asatru World-View: Wyrd. I think this may be the most important
      > idea in Asatru. It's one I'm still learning to understand, and probably
      > will never grasp completely, but I think it's important for beginners to
      > get some idea of what it is and how important it is to our understanding
      > of life. This is also a way to introduce the key concept of personal
      > responsibility, which I think is our core ethic and a far better
      > expression of the ancient heathen world-view than the Nine Virtues.
      >
      > This is long enough, so I'll leave some discussion of the far more
      > complex "Intermediate" level and its multiple audiences for another
      > post.
      >
      > Wassail,
      >
      > Groa

      Good list... though we might want to add Frith as well as it is usually not
      covered with the texts on Wyrd. We can get very basic explanations on both
      no doubt, and leave more advanced thinking for the intermediate level.

      Frith!
      Swain
      Hammer of the Gods Records
      http://jove.prohosting.com/~dosenhof
    • Swain Wodening
      Message 31 of 31 , May 7, 2000
        To: Asatru-U@egroups.com
        From: "Lissa" <qibhom@...>
        Date sent: Sun, 7 May 2000 23:59:46 -0400
        Send reply to: Asatru-U@egroups.com
        Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] Assembled

        > > (Are there other examples of in-group vocabulary that a new person
        > > needs to pick up on quickly?
        >
        > Just a shot at a list, including words others have mentioned;
        >
        > wyrd
        > frith
        > blot
        > sumbel
        > gothi
        > gythia
        > wassail (and wes thu hail, for those who didn't come in through
        > SCA)
        > hail
        > ragnarokr
        > Edda
        > saga
        > alliteration (maybe I have a tendancy to break in to Anglo-Saxon
        > verse too often, but I get asked this one fairly often)
        > landvettir
        > wight
        > troll (for those who have played too much D&D, and think they
        > know)
        > giant (ditto)
        > etin
        > dwarf
        > elf
        > and all those other wight names (I need a scorecard to keep them
        > straight)
        >
        > Later on, one gets into such terms as odal, meter, etc., but I don't
        > think we are there yet.
        >
        > Be well,
        > Lissa

        I'd suggest using the Old Norse an Old English versions in any glossary as well.
        Often they are used more than the modern counterparts (like wes hal and wes
        thu hal are often see more than wassail now).

        Welga!