Re: [Asatru-U] Assembled

  • Swain Wodening
    Message 1 of 31 , May 1, 2000
      > I think this is a concern with the "Ritual/Practice" area, but not with
      > the "Lore/Historical" area, where we can focus on 1) primary sources and
      > 2) current academic scholarship. With ritual, I think one of our tasks
      > will be to try and present the wide range of practices in modern Asatru
      > without overwhelming a new person. Perhaps in the Beginner course, we
      > could give more than one option for, say, blot structure (so as to make
      > the point that variations exist), but not give every variant out there.
      >
      > Wassail,
      >
      > Groa

      A very good idea. I know there are several blot outlines out there as well as
      several ways of doing symbel. Best to get folks acquainted with as many as
      possible in a small space. It might be handy to give references to the ones we o
      not cover and where to find them.

      Frith!
      Swain
      Hammer of the Gods Records
      http://jove.prohosting.com/~dosenhof
    • Swain Wodening
      Message 31 of 31 , May 7, 2000
        To: Asatru-U@egroups.com
        From: "Lissa" <qibhom@...>
        Date sent: Sun, 7 May 2000 23:59:46 -0400
        Send reply to: Asatru-U@egroups.com
        Subject: Re: [Asatru-U] Assembled

        > > (Are there other examples of in-group vocabulary that a new person
        > > needs to pick up on quickly?
        >
        > Just a shot at a list, including words others have mentioned;
        >
        > wyrd
        > frith
        > blot
        > sumbel
        > gothi
        > gythia
        > wassail (and wes thu hail, for those who didn't come in through
        > SCA)
        > hail
        > ragnarokr
        > Edda
        > saga
        > alliteration (maybe I have a tendancy to break in to Anglo-Saxon
        > verse too often, but I get asked this one fairly often)
        > landvettir
        > wight
        > troll (for those who have played too much D&D, and think they
        > know)
        > giant (ditto)
        > etin
        > dwarf
        > elf
        > and all those other wight names (I need a scorecard to keep them
        > straight)
        >
        > Later on, one gets into such terms as odal, meter, etc., but I don't
        > think we are there yet.
        >
        > Be well,
        > Lissa

        I'd suggest using the Old Norse an Old English versions in any glossary as well.
        Often they are used more than the modern counterparts (like wes hal and wes
        thu hal are often see more than wassail now).

        Welga!