Thoughts from a lurker

  • Rathwith
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2012
      Hi, I just wanted to say hi, I've been studying Asatru for about 6 months now and I found the Asatru-u site very useful.  The dead links are a problem though, I think you should try to have as much material as possible right there on the website, or providing descriptions of where to find it in case of linkrot.  If you could make the whole revised document available as a Kindle ebook (with whatever profits going to web management), that would be really helpful to a lot of modern Heathens, I think.
      I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2012
        On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Rathwith <rathwith@...> wrote:
        > Hi, I just wanted to say hi, I've been studying Asatru for about 6 months now and I found the Asatru-u site very useful.  The dead links are a problem though, I think you should try to have as much material as possible right there on the website, or providing descriptions of where to find it in case of linkrot.  If you could make the whole revised document available as a Kindle ebook (with whatever profits going to web management), that would be really helpful to a lot of modern Heathens, I think.

        Copyright is a big consideration in this kind of project, both in the
        material we use and in the material we create. We used a lot of links
        to dodge around that as much as possible. I agree that hosting the
        documents themselves would be good, but that doesn't save us from
        content rot.

        > I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.

        I'm so sorry.

        --

        Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3, 2012
          On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:

          > Copyright is a big consideration in this kind of project, both in the
          > material we use and in the material we create. We used a lot of links to
          > dodge around that as much as possible. I agree that hosting the documents
          > themselves would be good, but that doesn't save us from content rot.

          Yes, it's certainly a consideration--it was then, and it is now.

          And yet, there are places we can go from here. We can Ask Very Nicely for
          rehosting rights (with assurance that the original author reserves all
          rights, etc). Not all of the link rot /should/ be recovered as-is, unless
          it's for historical interest. Some things we can reconstruct, although I
          for one can't lend keyboard to this project until well after Midsummer.

          I'm also your woman if you want it Kindle'd up, as I'm accruing experience
          in that arena. However, I'd point you at /Essential Ásatrú/ first because
          Diana could use the money. ;)

          > > I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age
          > > of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern
          > > reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.
          >
          > I'm so sorry.

          Psht. We are who we are, and that's rooted in who we were. I can be
          embarrassed by my Google Groups archives any time I like too. ;)

          -- Lorrie (once of rec.arts.sf.babylon5, et al.)
          Message 4 of 19 , May 4, 2012
            On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
            > On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:
            >>

            > Psht. We are who we are, and that's rooted in who we were. I can be
            > embarrassed by my Google Groups archives any time I like too. ;)
            >
            > -- Lorrie (once of rec.arts.sf.babylon5, et al.)

            LOL, I stand by my archived Usenet. I'm just sorry to drag someone
            else into Freaky Unmurrican Religion.
            --

            Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA