Re: [Asatru-U] Taking the dust cover off....

  • Laura Fuller
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2012
      I too think this would be awesome.

      As a side note, does anyone know who has access to the webpage? It is
      quite out of date. If we're taking off a dustcover, it would be great
      to spruce that up too. Or is that what Lorrie was talking about?

      Laura
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2012
        On May 1, 2012, at 22:38, Laura Fuller <lfuller@...> wrote:

        > I too think this would be awesome.
        >
        > As a side note, does anyone know who has access to the webpage? It is
        > quite out of date. If we're taking off a dustcover, it would be great
        > to spruce that up too. Or is that what Lorrie was talking about?

        Whoops--let me unpack that:

        Manny maintains three sites on my server, and asatru-u.org is one of them. So we both have access, but I don't do anything that Manny doesn't approve of.

        -- Lorrie, Yer Hostmaster
      • Colin Sparks
        Message 3 of 19 , May 2, 2012
          I would like to see this site up and running again. I have much to learn...

          .

          --
          Colin M Sparks M.A., M.S.O.

          Message 4 of 19 , May 2, 2012
            Yes

            Message 5 of 19 , May 2, 2012
              Four sites, and all of them dust-covered.

              I should say that they are that dull so that they could be fully
              compliant with all assistive technologies when they were last used.
              They weren't meant to be interactive dazzlers, just places to put info
              for other people to gather. I have been wondering whether a Wiki would
              be better now that more people understand how to make and use them.

              Let's start with an idea of what we want to do, though, and then
              fiddle the tech to get us there, not the other way around.

              On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
              > On May 1, 2012, at 22:38, Laura Fuller <lfuller@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I too think this would be awesome.
              >>
              >> As a side note, does anyone know who has access to the webpage?  It is
              >> quite out of date.  If we're taking off a dustcover, it would be great
              >> to spruce that up too.  Or is that what Lorrie was talking about?
              >
              > Whoops--let me unpack that:
              >
              > Manny maintains three sites on my server, and asatru-u.org is one of them. So we both have access, but I don't do anything that Manny doesn't approve of.
              >
              > -- Lorrie, Yer Hostmaster

              Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
            • Doug Freyburger
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                "Manny" oldsma@... wrote:

                >I'd like to get this group going again! Anyone else interested?

                The clergy programs by the various national organizations tend to cover the
                intermediate and advanced lore material.  Asatru-U remains the go to place
                for beginner material.  I'm for a refresh.
                Message 7 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                  On May 2, 2012, at 5:42, Manny Olds <oldsma@...> wrote:

                  > Four sites, and all of them dust-covered.
                  >
                  > I should say that they are that dull so that they could be fully
                  > compliant with all assistive technologies when they were last used.
                  > They weren't meant to be interactive dazzlers, just places to put info
                  > for other people to gather. I have been wondering whether a Wiki would
                  > be better now that more people understand how to make and use them.
                  >
                  > Let's start with an idea of what we want to do, though, and then
                  > fiddle the tech to get us there, not the other way around.

                  I'm not necessarily in favor of a wiki conversion, as WordPress-as-a-CMS brings us to all of the same places for functionality without all the extra overhead. I also point out that by the time I'm done with a site, the text is high-contrast, the images have alt text, mouseover is /not/ required to find anything (it's not bad to add a little flavor, though), and one need *NEVER* play "hunt the link".

                  Mostly, I'm sticking a bookmark in here to say: if we're revisiting this project—and I think this a good idea—the site needs to be hauled into the 21st century and allow multiple, vetted, editors whereof, but without losing site of our original emphasis on usability and accessibility.

                  -- Lorrie
                • wynlord1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                    It sounds good to me, its been a while.

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                      On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
                      > On May 2, 2012, at 5:42, Manny Olds <oldsma@...> wrote:

                      >> I should say that they are that dull so that they could be fully
                      >> compliant with all assistive technologies when they were last used.
                      >
                      > [...] I also point out that by the time I'm done with a site, the text is high-contrast, the images have alt text, mouseover is /not/ required to find anything (it's not bad to add a little flavor, though), and one need *NEVER* play "hunt the link".
                      >
                      > Mostly, I'm sticking a bookmark in here to say: if we're revisiting this project—and I think this a good idea—the site needs to be hauled into the 21st century and allow multiple, vetted, editors whereof, but without losing site of our original emphasis on usability and accessibility.

                      LOL, all those pages were completely hand-beaten out of
                      least-common-denominator copper-age HTML. I'd be happy to see them
                      moved up even just as far as bronze. So, yes, definitely, bookmark on
                      the improved presentation/delivery.

                      --

                      Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                    • Jeff Peck
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                        It's probably a good idea.
                        I have seen Asatru-u mentioned on a couple of my lists lately.
                        People like what it does, but A) want more, and
                        B) are having problems with dead links. If nothing else, the dead link
                        issue should be addressed.
                        Lyulf

                        --
                        We carry in our hearts the true country,
                        and that cannot be broken.
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                          On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Jeff Peck <lyulfr@...> wrote:
                          >         It's probably a good idea.
                          >      I have seen Asatru-u mentioned on a couple of my lists lately.
                          > People like what it does, but A) want more, and
                          > B) are having problems with dead links. If nothing else, the dead link
                          > issue should be addressed.

                          The dead links can't just be substituted, though. A lot of the
                          documents don't exist anymore, for example. I also think we need to
                          factor in how the supporting materials of the different heathen groups
                          have evolved so we can make our little dots fit in to the bigger
                          picture usefully.

                          --

                          Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                        • Rathwith
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                            Hi, I just wanted to say hi, I've been studying Asatru for about 6 months now and I found the Asatru-u site very useful.  The dead links are a problem though, I think you should try to have as much material as possible right there on the website, or providing descriptions of where to find it in case of linkrot.  If you could make the whole revised document available as a Kindle ebook (with whatever profits going to web management), that would be really helpful to a lot of modern Heathens, I think.
                            I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                              On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Rathwith <rathwith@...> wrote:
                              > Hi, I just wanted to say hi, I've been studying Asatru for about 6 months now and I found the Asatru-u site very useful.  The dead links are a problem though, I think you should try to have as much material as possible right there on the website, or providing descriptions of where to find it in case of linkrot.  If you could make the whole revised document available as a Kindle ebook (with whatever profits going to web management), that would be really helpful to a lot of modern Heathens, I think.

                              Copyright is a big consideration in this kind of project, both in the
                              material we use and in the material we create. We used a lot of links
                              to dodge around that as much as possible. I agree that hosting the
                              documents themselves would be good, but that doesn't save us from
                              content rot.

                              > I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.

                              I'm so sorry.

                              --

                              Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                                On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:

                                > Copyright is a big consideration in this kind of project, both in the
                                > material we use and in the material we create. We used a lot of links to
                                > dodge around that as much as possible. I agree that hosting the documents
                                > themselves would be good, but that doesn't save us from content rot.

                                Yes, it's certainly a consideration--it was then, and it is now.

                                And yet, there are places we can go from here. We can Ask Very Nicely for
                                rehosting rights (with assurance that the original author reserves all
                                rights, etc). Not all of the link rot /should/ be recovered as-is, unless
                                it's for historical interest. Some things we can reconstruct, although I
                                for one can't lend keyboard to this project until well after Midsummer.

                                I'm also your woman if you want it Kindle'd up, as I'm accruing experience
                                in that arena. However, I'd point you at /Essential Ásatrú/ first because
                                Diana could use the money. ;)

                                > > I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age
                                > > of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern
                                > > reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.
                                >
                                > I'm so sorry.

                                Psht. We are who we are, and that's rooted in who we were. I can be
                                embarrassed by my Google Groups archives any time I like too. ;)

                                -- Lorrie (once of rec.arts.sf.babylon5, et al.)
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 4, 2012
                                  On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
                                  > On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:
                                  >>

                                  > Psht. We are who we are, and that's rooted in who we were. I can be
                                  > embarrassed by my Google Groups archives any time I like too. ;)
                                  >
                                  > -- Lorrie (once of rec.arts.sf.babylon5, et al.)

                                  LOL, I stand by my archived Usenet. I'm just sorry to drag someone
                                  else into Freaky Unmurrican Religion.
                                  --

                                  Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA