Re: [Asatru-U] Taking the dust cover off....

  • Jayde
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2012
      I'd love it :)

      Where to start?

      Jayde
      ****

      Teach what you would learn; be what you would teach.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2012
        On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 07:29:46PM -0000, Manny wrote:
        > I'd like to get this group going again! Anyone else interested?

        "Why, sure!", said the Webmaster.

        Also, I'd like to convert the extant website to Wordpress, which makes a
        reasonable content management system. It'll make it easier to maintain
        the links and such, and by more people than just Manny.

        A sample of a pre-conversion site of mine is:

        http://www.hrafnar.org/

        The same site's post-conversion look can be previewed at:

        http://hrafnar.snugharbor.com/

        It's still in progress, so not everything is there yet, but asatru-u.org
        could be given a similar modernizing treatment.

        -- Lorrie
      • Stephen Glaser
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2012
          Surely...

          liberator_9

          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2012
            I too think this would be awesome.

            As a side note, does anyone know who has access to the webpage? It is
            quite out of date. If we're taking off a dustcover, it would be great
            to spruce that up too. Or is that what Lorrie was talking about?

            Laura
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2012
              On May 1, 2012, at 22:38, Laura Fuller <lfuller@...> wrote:

              > I too think this would be awesome.
              >
              > As a side note, does anyone know who has access to the webpage? It is
              > quite out of date. If we're taking off a dustcover, it would be great
              > to spruce that up too. Or is that what Lorrie was talking about?

              Whoops--let me unpack that:

              Manny maintains three sites on my server, and asatru-u.org is one of them. So we both have access, but I don't do anything that Manny doesn't approve of.

              -- Lorrie, Yer Hostmaster
            • Colin Sparks
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                I would like to see this site up and running again. I have much to learn...

                .

                --
                Colin M Sparks M.A., M.S.O.

                Message 7 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                  Yes

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                    Four sites, and all of them dust-covered.

                    I should say that they are that dull so that they could be fully
                    compliant with all assistive technologies when they were last used.
                    They weren't meant to be interactive dazzlers, just places to put info
                    for other people to gather. I have been wondering whether a Wiki would
                    be better now that more people understand how to make and use them.

                    Let's start with an idea of what we want to do, though, and then
                    fiddle the tech to get us there, not the other way around.

                    On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
                    > On May 1, 2012, at 22:38, Laura Fuller <lfuller@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I too think this would be awesome.
                    >>
                    >> As a side note, does anyone know who has access to the webpage?  It is
                    >> quite out of date.  If we're taking off a dustcover, it would be great
                    >> to spruce that up too.  Or is that what Lorrie was talking about?
                    >
                    > Whoops--let me unpack that:
                    >
                    > Manny maintains three sites on my server, and asatru-u.org is one of them. So we both have access, but I don't do anything that Manny doesn't approve of.
                    >
                    > -- Lorrie, Yer Hostmaster

                    Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                  • Doug Freyburger
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                      "Manny" oldsma@... wrote:

                      >I'd like to get this group going again! Anyone else interested?

                      The clergy programs by the various national organizations tend to cover the
                      intermediate and advanced lore material.  Asatru-U remains the go to place
                      for beginner material.  I'm for a refresh.
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 2, 2012
                        On May 2, 2012, at 5:42, Manny Olds <oldsma@...> wrote:

                        > Four sites, and all of them dust-covered.
                        >
                        > I should say that they are that dull so that they could be fully
                        > compliant with all assistive technologies when they were last used.
                        > They weren't meant to be interactive dazzlers, just places to put info
                        > for other people to gather. I have been wondering whether a Wiki would
                        > be better now that more people understand how to make and use them.
                        >
                        > Let's start with an idea of what we want to do, though, and then
                        > fiddle the tech to get us there, not the other way around.

                        I'm not necessarily in favor of a wiki conversion, as WordPress-as-a-CMS brings us to all of the same places for functionality without all the extra overhead. I also point out that by the time I'm done with a site, the text is high-contrast, the images have alt text, mouseover is /not/ required to find anything (it's not bad to add a little flavor, though), and one need *NEVER* play "hunt the link".

                        Mostly, I'm sticking a bookmark in here to say: if we're revisiting this project—and I think this a good idea—the site needs to be hauled into the 21st century and allow multiple, vetted, editors whereof, but without losing site of our original emphasis on usability and accessibility.

                        -- Lorrie
                      • wynlord1@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                          It sounds good to me, its been a while.

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                            On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
                            > On May 2, 2012, at 5:42, Manny Olds <oldsma@...> wrote:

                            >> I should say that they are that dull so that they could be fully
                            >> compliant with all assistive technologies when they were last used.
                            >
                            > [...] I also point out that by the time I'm done with a site, the text is high-contrast, the images have alt text, mouseover is /not/ required to find anything (it's not bad to add a little flavor, though), and one need *NEVER* play "hunt the link".
                            >
                            > Mostly, I'm sticking a bookmark in here to say: if we're revisiting this project—and I think this a good idea—the site needs to be hauled into the 21st century and allow multiple, vetted, editors whereof, but without losing site of our original emphasis on usability and accessibility.

                            LOL, all those pages were completely hand-beaten out of
                            least-common-denominator copper-age HTML. I'd be happy to see them
                            moved up even just as far as bronze. So, yes, definitely, bookmark on
                            the improved presentation/delivery.

                            --

                            Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                          • Jeff Peck
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                              It's probably a good idea.
                              I have seen Asatru-u mentioned on a couple of my lists lately.
                              People like what it does, but A) want more, and
                              B) are having problems with dead links. If nothing else, the dead link
                              issue should be addressed.
                              Lyulf

                              --
                              We carry in our hearts the true country,
                              and that cannot be broken.
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                                On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Jeff Peck <lyulfr@...> wrote:
                                >         It's probably a good idea.
                                >      I have seen Asatru-u mentioned on a couple of my lists lately.
                                > People like what it does, but A) want more, and
                                > B) are having problems with dead links. If nothing else, the dead link
                                > issue should be addressed.

                                The dead links can't just be substituted, though. A lot of the
                                documents don't exist anymore, for example. I also think we need to
                                factor in how the supporting materials of the different heathen groups
                                have evolved so we can make our little dots fit in to the bigger
                                picture usefully.

                                --

                                Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                              • Rathwith
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                                  Hi, I just wanted to say hi, I've been studying Asatru for about 6 months now and I found the Asatru-u site very useful.  The dead links are a problem though, I think you should try to have as much material as possible right there on the website, or providing descriptions of where to find it in case of linkrot.  If you could make the whole revised document available as a Kindle ebook (with whatever profits going to web management), that would be really helpful to a lot of modern Heathens, I think.
                                  I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                                    On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Rathwith <rathwith@...> wrote:
                                    > Hi, I just wanted to say hi, I've been studying Asatru for about 6 months now and I found the Asatru-u site very useful.  The dead links are a problem though, I think you should try to have as much material as possible right there on the website, or providing descriptions of where to find it in case of linkrot.  If you could make the whole revised document available as a Kindle ebook (with whatever profits going to web management), that would be really helpful to a lot of modern Heathens, I think.

                                    Copyright is a big consideration in this kind of project, both in the
                                    material we use and in the material we create. We used a lot of links
                                    to dodge around that as much as possible. I agree that hosting the
                                    documents themselves would be good, but that doesn't save us from
                                    content rot.

                                    > I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.

                                    I'm so sorry.

                                    --

                                    Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 3, 2012
                                      On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:

                                      > Copyright is a big consideration in this kind of project, both in the
                                      > material we use and in the material we create. We used a lot of links to
                                      > dodge around that as much as possible. I agree that hosting the documents
                                      > themselves would be good, but that doesn't save us from content rot.

                                      Yes, it's certainly a consideration--it was then, and it is now.

                                      And yet, there are places we can go from here. We can Ask Very Nicely for
                                      rehosting rights (with assurance that the original author reserves all
                                      rights, etc). Not all of the link rot /should/ be recovered as-is, unless
                                      it's for historical interest. Some things we can reconstruct, although I
                                      for one can't lend keyboard to this project until well after Midsummer.

                                      I'm also your woman if you want it Kindle'd up, as I'm accruing experience
                                      in that arena. However, I'd point you at /Essential Ásatrú/ first because
                                      Diana could use the money. ;)

                                      > > I also wanted to say hi to Manny, I remember you well from the golden age
                                      > > of USENET on rec.arts.sf.*, I think you were my first exposure to modern
                                      > > reconstructionist religion, lo these many years ago.
                                      >
                                      > I'm so sorry.

                                      Psht. We are who we are, and that's rooted in who we were. I can be
                                      embarrassed by my Google Groups archives any time I like too. ;)

                                      -- Lorrie (once of rec.arts.sf.babylon5, et al.)
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 4, 2012
                                        On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Lorrie Wood <lwood@...> wrote:
                                        > On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 05:17:55PM -0400, Manny Olds wrote:
                                        >>

                                        > Psht. We are who we are, and that's rooted in who we were. I can be
                                        > embarrassed by my Google Groups archives any time I like too. ;)
                                        >
                                        > -- Lorrie (once of rec.arts.sf.babylon5, et al.)

                                        LOL, I stand by my archived Usenet. I'm just sorry to drag someone
                                        else into Freaky Unmurrican Religion.
                                        --

                                        Manny Olds (oldsma@...) of Silver Spring, Maryland, USA