What is Sidir?

  • joysarahghillie
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
      Hi

      Could anyone tell me what Sidir means?.

      Thanks

      Joy
    • Brainwise
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008
        Greetings, Joy.

        If I may be so bold as to paraphrase a saying from another culture: "The Seiðr that may be spoken of is not the true Seiðr." :)

        That being said, the short answer is that Seiðr is a form of folk magic. If I am not too mistaken, this craft can involve trancework.

        For a longer -- and very well-written -- answer, I refer you to Yngona Desmond's book, Völuspá - Seiðr as Wyrd Consciousness (http://tinyurl.com/h75d6). Here are some related posts on her blog (I hope this link comes through): http://vinlands-volva.blogspot.com/search?q=Sei%C3%B0r

        Other sites for reference:

        www.vikinganswerlady.com/seidhr.shtml
        www.thetroth.org/resources/kveldulf/spaecraft.html
        www.irminsul.org/se/se.html
        www.runewebvitki.com/BOOKOFSEIDR.html

        I hope that helps. Other list members who are more knowledgeable can provide more details, I am sure.

        ==============
        To: Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com
        From: "joysarahghillie" <joysarahghillie@...>
        Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:37:02 -0000
        Subject: [Asatru-U] What is Sidir?

        Hi

        Could anyone tell me what Sidir means?.

        Thanks

        Joy

      • Anthony W. McPherson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 14, 2008
          A bit indepth and rambling, but I hope this helps.

          "Magic" of which seidir is a part, is the manipulation and / or use
          of Wyrd(sort of "what will happen by our own actions" and he gods
          intervention) and Orlog (sort of "natural law") in a way that we as
          humans in general cannot explain as we can in the subject we
          call "science". In science we can explain where wood goes when it is
          burned to ashes, or water when it evaporates. Science is just the
          part of Orlog that we can understand. If we make the wood or water
          disappear in a way that science cannot yet explain, then we are
          performing "magic".
          From a Theological point of view, it is simply using the powers
          around and from within us, which we cannot explain away by "science",
          but of course that is from OUR point of view. To the Christians and
          Moslems, only their different gods can work outside of our
          known "science", and all others are "worshipping Satan" or some other
          devil or demon of their religion.
          After the coming of the Christian religions, anything practiced by
          our holy men and women was "Black Magic" and any magic performed by
          their "holy men" was a "Miracle".
          According to more than a few researchers, including Grimm in
          his "Teutonic Mythology", any Magic along with any other subject that
          an outsider (or many "insiders" for that matter) would call "Magic"
          or anything similar, were performed primarily by the older people and
          folk of a certain type For the most part. Elderly Women, "Dead to
          love and labor" who had a knowledge of some herblore and cooking from
          decades of experience, and Older Shepherds (those with jobs not
          requiring constant mental work-outs or attention and physical stress
          who can stop and think for long periods of time). The younger men
          had their time taken up with farming, adventuring (a few), warring
          and defense of the stead while younger women were busy with the
          keeping of the hall, and rearing of the children. Remember, this was
          a time when the children were actually raised, and that was the duty
          of the women to teach them and stear them on the right path. Men
          taught more of the "mechanics" of life.
          Some rituals could be thought of as "magic" of a sort, but that is
          simply the gods being asked to act. "Magic" as I use the term here
          is more of the actions of the person, with some assistance of the
          gods and goddesses in some cases.
          There are few hard lines drawn between the different types
          of "magic", many "gray areas" and borders between the different types
          exist. Many times people hold more than one skill or discipline and
          the crossover is just a natural occurrence. The following is a
          generalization only!

          Galdr: is the casting of magic by chanting or singing. The gods and
          goddesses, especially ODIN and BALDER are very much impressed, and
          therefore influenced, by Poetry and Song. Verse and/or song
          would "get their attention", especially if the song was well sung and
          the lyrics of the song or words of the poem were witty, sincere,
          uplifting, honorable or ins some other way pleasing to them. The
          words and music are also a type of "offering" or sacrifice which they
          might appreciate, if not just a "jingle" to attract their attention.
          This would include some of the runic type of magic, but not
          necessarily all, and not all Galdr is Runic. This has been a
          powerful type of magic in many cultures throughout history.
          Lullabies were originally a charm sung over a baby before it went to
          sleep to protect him or her from wights that would harm them in the
          night.
          Love songs were originally "charms" or "spells" to win your intended.
          Little verses spoken or sung at different jobs or duties originated
          as galdr, but today are just "silly little childhood songs". I
          remember my mother and both grandmothers telling me of little thymes
          that they sung or recited at different times while performing
          different jobs. To them, they were just "little ditties" to pass the
          time while doing as repetitious chore. In the more modern times,
          they were correct, but the origin of those "little ditties" came from
          galdr, such as this verse to make cream churn into butter faster:

          Come butter come
          Come butter come
          Johnny waits by the gate
          With a warm buckwheat cake
          Come butter come

          The previous verse was probably a more modern version of the charm or
          spell, but it remains never the less. Also, I remember there was the
          verse for planting some seeds (in more modern, post Columbus times,
          this particular verse usually referred to the planting of corn) which
          shows a sacrifice to some of nature`s creatures, the land wight and a
          tribute from the worker to The Karl (land owner):

          (while planting seeds, one seed for each line of the charm)
          One for the chicken
          One for the crow
          One for the farmer
          And one to grow

          There were also songs for doing laundry, milking cows and just about
          everything else. If you have elderly relatives from a rural
          background or recent immigrants from Europe they may be able to give
          you many more examples of these little songs. Many of the old ways
          are entombed in a series of books (my gods are they good)
          called "FOXFIRE", which is a sort of "how to" series on how to do
          everything from building a still in "hillbilly country" to making a
          flintlock rifle to skinning a bear and planting a garden. Being of
          the U.S. southern culture, the entire society was of course
          Christianized and changed to suit the new land and situations, but
          you can see the old ways and catch a glimpse of Old World beliefs
          shining through in many of the stories, and instructions.
          Your success depends upon your own power, dedication, concentration
          and / or the powers that are being worked on your behalf by a
          benevolent deity or spirit. You may "do everything correct" and have
          energies and powers, but it strong enough spiritual/deity force is
          opposed to you, you will fail. On the other hand, you can be a total
          looser when it comes to ability in magic and succeed when those same
          forces are with you.
          When performing galdr, again depending upon what is working with or
          against you, the poem or song may be repeated many times (making it
          into sort of a chant if it is short enough) or only once if it is
          forceful enough and thought to have accomplished its purpose.
          Unfortunately YOU will have to figure out which works for you, and
          even which works for you in particular situations. If you are really
          luck, you will receive that information from the gods themselves and
          have the "guess work taken out of it altogether. You will also have
          to figure out which works better for you, singing, chanting or
          reciting poetry-type charms/spells.
          The attempt might b as elaborate as a full ritual as described in the
          GENERAL OUTLINE FOR A RITE OR RITUAL, from the previous section of
          this NOTEBOOK, or as simple as Hammer Hallowing an area and sitting
          comfortably in a quiet room, in the woods, a field, hilltop,
          waterfall or wherever you might meet with success. Concentration
          usually results in better success than relying on "window dressing",
          but sometimes both are necessary. In other words, don't work so hard
          on the "show" of a ritual that you let your concentration on the
          desired outcome low ebb.
          Within galdr, you might find other types of magic, or use galdr in
          other types, especially magic using runes when they are sung or the
          rune poem is spoken.

          Spa: is a skill or gift for telling the future or prophecy. This
          could be done with Runes, trances, or reading other signs. If the
          power is strong with you, you might not need anything in particular,
          it will just come to you.
          When using runes, calling upon deities and / or getting into a mental
          state in order to receive information on the future, most use galdr.
          Some of the deities to call upon are ODIN, SAGA and, if you think
          that you can persuade her to communicate what she knows, FRIGGA (who
          is said to NEVER reveal what she knows of the future). The mental
          trance-like state that many go into is often self imposed by chanting
          to the deities for that purpose, or chanting certain runes to attain
          that state.

          Seidr: takes many definitions, or at least many different abilities.
          Healing, mental magic & manipulation, channeling spirits, mind and
          weather control, and other abilities. FREYA is a good one for this
          although others can be chosen depending upon the reason and target
          for and of the Seidr.
          If runes are used as the power or tool for the work, and the names,
          rune-poems or sounds are sung, or a chant is used to call the deity
          desired for support, again, galdr is used. If channeling spirits and
          speaking with the dead for information on the future is used, then
          spa is also used.

          As you see, you can "jump" from one "type" of magic to another
          without really planning to do so, it's a "come as you are needed"
          type party.
        • laguzrising
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 6 1:04 PM
            This was a very interesting answer to read, thank you for covering
            the different 'types' of magic and for explaining a little about
            each. Are there any specific referenes you can give me (so I can do
            a little more study on them...and possibly websites...my library is
            severly lacking) about each being used? I recall the story about
            Odin conjuring a dead volva (necromancy is the popular name for it
            today, I believe) and to my understanding this would fit into
            the 'Spa' category, would it not?

            --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony W. McPherson"
            <Gothisson@...> wrote:

> [...]
            attain
            > that state.
            >
            > Seidr: takes many definitions, or at least many different
            abilities.
            > Healing, mental magic & manipulation, channeling spirits, mind and
            > weather control, and other abilities. FREYA is a good one for this
            > although others can be chosen depending upon the reason and target
            > for and of the Seidr.
            > If runes are used as the power or tool for the work, and the names,
            > rune-poems or sounds are sung, or a chant is used to call the deity
            > desired for support, again, galdr is used. If channeling spirits
            and
            > speaking with the dead for information on the future is used, then
            > spa is also used.
            >
            > As you see, you can "jump" from one "type" of magic to another
            > without really planning to do so, it's a "come as you are needed"

          • Marla
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8 5:53 AM
              I enjoyed reading this alot.Looked up Foxfire. and I have a special
              place in the back of the yard I am setting up for meditation...has a
              few stumps and i intend on using them to sit on under lots of oak
              trees...seems as tho info comes to me at times I am wondering but do
              not ask...this has been one of the inspirations I needed.... Thanks
              for this piece! BB ~V~