Loki anthropologically...

  • ella anghel
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hello, Ratatask!

      I was very pleased to see responses to my quest. I think that a paper about the way Loki is perceived in Asatru today is quite anthropological it's self, it is a topic I myself thought would be interesting to study at some point, so I would be interested to learn more about you findings and also about the methods you are using in your investigation.

      At first I felt an attraction to the figure of Loki because I always had a soft spot for the villains... But as I looked closer I became puzzled with the many layers that made him up so I started digging deeper. First I concluded that as a trickster he must be the manifestation of an archetype, so I set out to prove that. After little research into the subject I found that Jung had already written about this at length. Also I found many loose ends, so to speak, in the Loki = a trickster theory. There for I set out to find proof that he isn't actually a trickster and has been forced into the category by ethnographers in the early 19th century. This has also been theorised by others before me (life isn't fair!) as Giordano Grottanelli points out in one of the articles I've been reading about Loki.

      He does have something of a trickster, yet that is not his role. My guess(though not an original one alas!) is that later Christian interpolation made him out to be evil. As far as I can tell from what I read so far, including some poems of the Edda, the concept of Wyrd is most high and nobody can stand against it. Nowhere does it say that Loki wanted Ragnarook to start, he is but one of the instruments of Faith. And yes he does join the fight on the wrong side but he is after all a Jotun so he fights against the enemy of his kind. That is if he is Jotun... lately I found that he is sometimes considered a Vanir. I am still researching the matter of his origins.

      I am really upset that most texts concerning the Norse Gods have been tempered with by Christians and that has made things harder to set straight. If indeed at first Loki was a spirit of nature and aid to the Aesir only later to be identified with Lucifer as the Christian evil-incarnate then a lot of the Edda is make believe.

      The Utgath-Loki character also puzzles me. Like you, I have considered that there are in actuality two or more characters merged in Loki, one would be the mischievous yet harmless buffoon who always rights his wrong-doings and is punished severely and the other would be the magical uncontrolled force of destruction. When analyzing these I always try to get into a frame of mind that would make sense to the vikings and leave modern thought patterns aside. That is mostly what I hoped to get by joining this group.

      I find that Ragnarook is a very original take on The End of All Things mainly because nobody actually wins. Every participant perishes in the fight and the world is renewed and made better, also I find that the new world described is actually the Christian world which makes me ask myself how did Ragnarook play out originally?

      I would love to read more of your findings about worship today if you don't mind, not just about Loki but maybe his children as well?

      All the best
      Ella

    • liberator_9
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 5, 2007
        Hi, Archie, I don't remember if I replied, but welcome to the e-list.
        Stephen

        --- In Asatru-U@yahoogroups.com, "~~ARCHIE~~" <waroberson3017@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello all,
        > I just joined the group. I am here to learn about Asatru and
        > Heathenry, as I have discovered it is the path that is chosen for me.
        > Hope to correspond with as many of you as I can.
        >
        > ~~Archie~~

      • Spider Orengoth
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 24, 2008
          Hello,

          The confirmation email said that I had to send an email before sending messages so I am. I am an ecclectic wanting to learn more about Norse Paganism/Asatru/Heathenism. I look forward to participating in the group. Thank you, and may the wind always be on your back.

          -SPIDER-

        • Adrienne Paolini
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 17, 2013
               Hello I noticed that there hasn't been much activity on this of late and I know people have very busy lives but I am looking into some Goddesses (Skadi and Freya). I was also looking for information on Seidr/Seidhr. I am not of Germanic or Norse decent (to my knowledge) But am part of the "alternative" religion "movement". I use quotes on this because I don't look at it as a religion it is my path I walk. I had come across the name Skadi a while ago but am not finding much information.

               I am rambling at this point and I apologize. I just want to learn as much about these points with out the generic information I have been able to acquire on my own.

            Thank you for your time!
            Adrienne